In Brief: Nov. 12, 2014

Veterans Day Parade sets entry record

The city of Columbia celebrated Veterans Day with its annual parade through downtown on Tuesday. A record of 85 entries participated in what has become one of the largest veterans parades in the southeast, The State reported.   

Attendees included Congressman Jim Clyburn; Major Gen. Bradley Becker, Fort Jackson commander; and Steve Benjamin, Columbia mayor.

“It’s important for all communities to pause and say thank you,” Clyburn said. He also referred to the parade as an opportunity for the military and community to bond.

The parade started by Sumter and Pendleton streets at 11 a.m. and finished at the Statehouse.

Specialty doughnut shop set to open

A specialty doughnut shop is being planned for 926 Harden St., in Five Points next to El Burrito and Waffle House.

Joe Taylor owns the property, and he and his business partner, Emile DeFelice, decided to open their own business after Taylor was unable to sell the space.

“What kind of doughnuts?” DeFelice said in reference to a question about what the shop will serve. “Delicious!” 

Clients will potentially be able to order doughnuts, made from Taylor and DeFelice’s  own recipes, from home, possibly through a phone app. 

Columbia’s Board of Zoning Appeals granted the shop a special exception to create a drive-through facility. The 690 square-foot building will feature an indoor service counter, a small dining area and an outdoor patio with seats.

The partners refused to give more details until all building and business permits go through.

Man tracks blood through house he burglarized

A Richland County man charged with burglary, larceny and obtaining property under false pretenses was arrested Monday, The State reported. 

According to Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, 24-year-old Stephon Pringle was accused of breaking a rear glass door of a home on Hunt Club Road and stealing several coins on March 8. During the burglary, Pringle cut himself and tracked blood throughout the residence.

Lott said that Pringle was also found in possession of stolen items pawned from a burglary in the Harbison Boulevard area on August 14. Pringle may also be responsible for additional burglaries.