In Brief: Dec. 1, 2014

Missing Ohio State football player's dead body found in dumpster

Police in Columbus, Ohio, reported Sunday that a body found in a dumpster near campus was identified as that of missing Ohio State senior defensive tackle Kosta Karageorge, ESPN reported.

The body was found with a gun, and the death seemed to have been the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was identified by tattoos and other identifying marks.

The football player was last seen early Wednesday at his apartment. His roommates reported that he left to go on a walk.

“The Ohio State University Department of Athletics was shocked and saddened to learn today of the death of student-athlete Kosta Karageorge, a senior from Columbus,” the school said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Karageorge family, and those who knew him, during this most difficult time.”

According to his mother, he has had several concussions and a few spells of extreme confusion. Karageorge texted her the morning he disappeared, according to the police report, and said that was sorry if he was "an embarrassment.”

Karageorge, a former Ohio State wrestler, joined the football team as a walk-on this season.

Ferguson police officer resigns after Brown shooting incident 

Darren Wilson, the former Ferguson police officer who shot Michael Brown in August, has resigned due to concerns about a potential for violence against other officers if he didn’t, The Associated Press reported.

According to Wilson’s lawyer, Neil Bruntrager, Wilson made the decision after police Chief Tom Jackson told him that the department had received threats.

The resignation comes after a grand jury decided on Nov. 17 not to indict Wilson, 28, for killing Brown. The U.S. Justice Department is still investigating potential civil rights violations in the incident.

Wilson wrote in his resignation letter that he thought he would put other officers and residents at risk by continuing his work.

“It was my hope to continue in police work, but the safety of other police officers and the community are of paramount importance to me,” he wrote. “It is my hope that my resignation will allow the community to heal.”

Anthony Gray, an attorney for the Brown family, said he thought Wilson was acting in his own best interest.

Clemson player proposes in the middle of Memorial Stadium following the Tigers' victory

Clemson offensive lineman Reid Webster proposed to Lindsey Mason after the Tigers’ victory over South Carolina on Saturday, WIS reported.

The couple walked to the 50-yard line of Frank Howard Field following the game. After exchanging a few words, Webster got down on one knee and proposed to his girlfriend.

Mason said yes.

A photographer was able to capture a picture of the couple's moment.