In Brief: Feb. 11, 2015

Brian Williams suspended for 6 months without pay

"NBC Nightly News" anchor Brian Williams was suspended Tuesday for six months without pay after he "misremembered" a story about being in a helicopter that came under fire several years ago.  

The investigation was sparked on Friday Jan. 20, 2015, when Williams misrepresented events he covered during the Iraq War in 2003. Williams had done the same thing when retelling the story at other venues. NBC has concerns about other comments Williams might have made outside of the news station. 

NBC said that his actions were wrong and completely inappropriate, and as managing editor and news anchor, Williams had a responsibility to be truthful at all times. The network also said he betrayed the trust that Americans put in NBC News, and that his suspension is the correct punishment for his actions. 

Lester Holt will act as substitute anchor for NBC’s Nightly News during William’s suspension.

— Madeleine Collins, News Editor

South Carolina bill to make high schoolers take civics test

High school students would have to take a civics test if a recent bill introduced to the South Carolina legislature were to pass, The State reported.

If passed, the initiative would require students to take a 100 question U.S. civics test, which would be necessary to pass in order to graduate.

Lawmakers said the students should know the same information about the U.S. that immigrants seeking citizenship are required to know, such as facts on the Constitution, current political leaders and key historical figures and moments. 

South Carolina’s initiative is part of a larger national effort to make students more proficient in civics.

Representative James Smith, a supporter of the bill, said the plan would not cost the state any money because it could be easily incorporated into civics classes, and the material would be based off what is already being studied in high school history classes. 

— Madeleine Collins, News Editor

S.C. House budget panel votes to close South Carolina State University for 2 years

On Tuesday, a South Carolina House budget panel voted to close South Carolina State University for two years, The State reported.

The university has been having financial troubles amounting to $10 million owed to food and maintenance vendors and $7.5 million in loans from the state. Enrollment has dropped in recent years, and only 14 percent of the students graduate within four years.

The plan still needs to be approved by the full South Carolina House and Senate. The South Carolina State University would be closed for the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 school years. Current students could get scholarships to attend other state public colleges or historically black schools, as long as they maintain a 2.5 GPA. 

— Madeleine Collins, News Editor