Reconstruction of historic Horseshoe wall

In 1808 the university mandated a need to build a wall surrounding South Carolina College, surrounding what we know today as the historic Horseshoe. Now, over 200 years later, that wall is coming back. 

The wall that was built surrounding the historic Horseshoe is being renovated and will make its reappearance and the current wall will be torn down to make way for this reconstruction.

Currently the work that will be done will include the "removal and replacement of all mortar on the exterior and interior faces of the wall, replacement of damaged brick and remove and replacement of damaged portions of the wall," according to the first addendum filed with the university. 

Although the original idea of the wall was presented to the trustees of USC in 1808, it was not until 1835 that construction of the wall actually began. It culminated in 1836, only one year after construction began. 

The wall was originally about 6 feet 9 inches tall, according to a research survey that was conducted by USC Students in 2011, and it surrounded the South Carolina College campus with a single opening on Sumter Street.

After sustaining damage during the Civil War, however, the wall endured many changes and continued to change until the year 1977 when it became the wall surrounding the Horseshoe that the current students of USC know today.

The planning for the renovation can be traced back to 2011 when a group of students began surveying the wall and collecting information about each wall segment. 

On Nov. 17, 2014, USC requested the funds in order to start the restoration and on Dec. 4, 2014, the funds were approved and a contract was drawn up with Rabon Enterprises to begin the restoration.

According to the second addendum filed by the university, the construction will occur during normal work hours and will encompass some weekend hours, pending any special events such as graduation. 

The restoration of the historic wall on USC’s campus will cost $420,000, according to the notice of intent to award.