First Farmers Market of spring draws crowd to Greene Street

The sweet smell of kettle corn and the appeal of fresh fruits and vegetables drew an abnormally large crowd to Greene Street on Tuesday.

It was the first Farmers Market of the spring, hosted by Healthy Carolina, and according to Mandy Feeks, the graduate assistant for Healthy Carolina and the coordinator of the Farmers Market, it was the weather they had to thank for the abnormally large turnout.

“Attendance was actually really high,” she said as she handed out some of the reusable bags that Healthy Carolina had brought for shoppers. “I think it’s because it’s such nice weather.”

At nearly every vendor booth, students lined the tables on Greene Street trying to get their fresh produce fix as well as learn about tobacco cessation, physical activity and heart health through this week’s theme, “Gamecocks Thrive for Physical Wellness.”

“Everyone has their favorite returners,” Feeks said about the booths who had returned again for this season.

In addition to these "returners," this year introduced three new vendors which brought the unique options of kettle corn from the Carolina Popcorn Company, South Carolina made candles from Candles Unique and grits and oats from the Congaree Milling Company to the market.

Although the Carolina Popcorn Company was among these newer vendors, it drew a crowd and was identified by the Healthy Carolina staff working the event as one of the most popular booths of the day.

Business was also booming for Trail Ridge Farms, the market's supplier of goat cheese, which had sold out of three products by the end of the market at 1:30 p.m.

But according to Feeks, the fruit and vegetable booths were still doing the most business because she believes that those are the things that students need weekly.

B&B Farms, Veggie Patch and Asya’s Organic Farm all brought their fresh produce to the market to entice students with locally and organically grown fruits and vegetables.

Aside from the produce, the market offers students a selection of niche products.

Heather’s Artisan Bakery brought freshly baked breads, Gin’s Juice offered fresh squeezed fruit and vegetable juice and Sustainable Carolina offered BioSoap, dried herbs and figs, kernels and composted soil.

“Students recognize the need to support local vendors and by doing so are also giving back to their community,” Shaena Rouse, the coordinator for Healthy Carolina, said.

The market offers students an opportunity to increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables as well as gives them a chance to access locally raised agriculture. According to Rouse, that’s the reason that so many USC students participate.

The Farmers Market will be held every Tuesday of the current spring semester until the end of the school year.