Spurriers to host reunion for former football players

The gang is getting back together. 

Steve and Jerri Spurrier have invited the 453 people that have played football for Steve Spurrier at South Carolina to a reunion on Friday to coincide with the spring scrimmage game, according to GoGamecocks. 

The idea for the event came from Jerri — Spurrier’s wife — who has taken the lead on trying to track down as many players that Spurrier has coached during his 10 years at USC as she can, through various outlets. Jerri said that most of their responses have come from trying to reach the players on social media.

The reunion will be held at Seawell’s on Friday at 6 p.m., and any former players are invited to join the Spurriers for an evening of free food and drinks. Clyde Wrenn, a special assistant for development at USC, said that he hopes it will be a good time for the players. He said the event will be simple but “a lot of fun.”

Todd Ellis is set to emcee the event, but Jerri Spurrier said there was little formal programming that was scheduled.

Each player can bring one guest, and Jerri hopes to see at least 500 people in attendance. She said they are expecting a fairly good response from the former USC football players.

The returning players will receive a gift from Spurrier and will be introduced during the halftime of the April 11 spring game at William’s Brice.