Around the SEC: Recruiting Breakdown

In college football today, recruiting is a 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year job.

In recent years, the Southeastern Conference has dominated the recruiting landscape of college football. With National Signing Day just over five months away, the conference looks poised for another strong showing on the recruiting spectrum this season.

Here’s the recruiting breakdown for every team in the SEC:

1. LSU (2)

Breakdown: 18 total recruits — three 5-star, nine 4-star

The Skinny: The Tigers have a strong defensive class in 2016, claiming the nation’s top safety and No. 2 cornerback in Eric Monroe and Saivion Smith, respectively. The nation’s top dual-threat quarterback, Feleipe Franks, is also a Tiger commit.

Top Remaining Target: Rashard Lawrence — No. 5 DT, No. 15 overall

2. Alabama (4)

Breakdown: 18 total — 10 4-star, eight 3-star

The Skinny: The Class of 2016 is shaping up to be Alabama’s worst under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide do not hold a commit from any of the top four in-state prospects but are still in the running for each of the nation’s top three players.

Top Remaining Target: Gregory Little — No. 1 OT, No. 2 overall

3. Ole Miss (7)

Breakdown: 19 total — one 5-star, seven 4-star

The Skinny: The gem of the class is No. 4 overall recruit Shea Patterson. Patterson is the nation’s top quarterback and the Elite 11 MVP. Joining Patterson are in-state stars DeKaylin Metcalf and Benito Jones. Jones is the nation’s 10th-ranked defensive tackle while Metcalf is ranked as the 6th-best wide receiver.

Top Remaining Target: Jeffery Simmons — No. 5 DE, No. 57 overall

4. Georgia (8)

Breakdown: 16 total — one 5-star, six 4-star

The Skinny: The Bulldogs currently claim four players ranked in the top 100 including the sixth-best prospect nationally, Jacob Eason. Eason and Patterson are widely considered the top two quarterbacks in the nation. Eason will be joined by a slew of in-state prospects including 4-star defensive linemen Julian Rochester, Chauncey Manac and Tyler Clark.

Top Remaining Target: Derrick Brown — No. 3 DT, No. 9 overall

5. Florida (14)

Breakdown: 20 total — three 4-star, 17 3-star

The Skinny: With the exception of cornerback commit Chauncey Gardner, no player jumps out in the Gators’ 2016 class. However, Florida holds commitments from the top running back and top offensive guard in the junior college ranks. It’s worth noting that a number of top uncommitted prospects have the Gators on their short lists. The final standing of Florida’s 2016 class may be heavily influenced by the outcome of their 2015 season.

Top Remaining Target: Dexter Lawrence — No. 2 DT, No. 3 overall

6. Tennessee (15)

Breakdown: 15 total — six 4-star, nine 3-star

The Skinny: Elite 11 quarterback Jarrett Guarantano highlights the class for the Volunteers. The No. 2 dual-threat quarterback will be joined by the top in-state product, outside linebacker Daniel Bituli. The Volunteers are still in the running for one-time Gamecock recruit Kyle Davis.

Top Remaining Target: Kyle Davis — No. 2 WR, No. 24 overall

7. Kentucky (17)

Breakdown: 22 total — two 4-star, 20 3-star

The Skinny: Coach Mark Stoops has the Wildcats in the top 20 in large part due to the sheer number of recruits they currently possess. The Wildcats also hold commitments from the top three in-state players — no small feat for a school in the same state as Louisville.

Top Remaining Target: None

8. Auburn (22)

Breakdown: 12 total — five 4-star, seven 3-star

The Skinny: Auburn traditionally recruits the skill position very well and this year is no different. The Tigers’ 2016 class is centered around three four-star players at the skill position, including Dutch Fork High School product Stephen Davis Jr. The son of former Carolina Panther running back Stephen Davis projects more as a receiver due to his size.

Top Remaining Target: Rashan Gary — No. 1 DT, No. 1 overall

9. Texas A&M (28)

Breakdown: 13 total — two 4-star, 11 3-star

The Skinny: Head coach Kevin Sumlin has taken heat of late for focusing his recruiting efforts almost exclusively on the offensive skill positions. The 2016 class reflects a change in philosophy for the fourth-year head coach as none of the Aggies’ top eight recruits play at running back, quarterback or wide receiver.

10. South Carolina (36)

Breakdown: 14 total — five 4-star, eight 3-star

The Skinny: If you ask any diehard South Carolina fan, four-star quarterback Brandon Mcllwain is the Gamecocks’ savior-to-be. The eighth-ranked dual threat quarterback was recently named an Elite 11 finalist. Head coach Steve Spurrier has focused his recruiting this season on positions of need, grabbing four-star wide receiver Bryan Edwards and four-star safety Marlon Character. Edwards is ranked as the fourth-best prospect in South Carolina. The Gamecocks would like to nab in-state prospect Javon Kinlaw who is listed as an offensive tackle but projects as a defensive end at the college level.

Top Remaining Target: Kelvin Harmon — No. 133 WR, No. 866 overall

11. Mississippi State (37)

Breakdown: 15 total — 15 3-star

The Skinny: Head coach Dan Mullen has become one of the best coaches in the nation at getting to most out of the talent he recruits. Never a particularly good recruiter, Mullen has focused much of his efforts in the 2016 recruiting cycle on athletes and other players without a true position. The Bulldogs remain in the running for a number of top recruits.

Top Remaining Target: A.J. Brown — No. 13 WR, No. 92 overall

12. Arkansas (38)

Breakdown: 13 total — three 4-star, 10 3-star

The Skinny: Arkansas holds commitments from two four-star defensive tackles and a four-star offensive guard. Head coach Bret Bielema traditionally excels at recruiting big men, and this year is no different. The Razorbacks still have four top-150 targets left on their board.

Top Remaining Target: McTelvin Agim — No. 4 DE, No. 55 overall

13. Missouri (47)

Breakdown: 13 total — one 4-star, 11 3-star

The Skinny: Missouri’s recruiting class is not on the level of the most other SEC schools this season. The Tigers’ only four-star recruit is junior college running back Natereace Strong.

Top Remaining Target: None

14. Vanderbilt (66)

Breakdown: 10 total, nine 3-star

The Skinny: Second-year head coach Derek Mason cannot recruit like former Vanderbilt and current Penn State head coach James Franklin. The Nittany Lions are ranked fifth and have as many four-star recruits as the Commodores do total recruits.

Top Remaining Target: Joejuan Williams — No. 16 CB, No. 189

*National rank in parentheses

**All rankings are from 247Sports Composite rankings