In Brief: 9/21/2015

Details emerge about Charleston shooter

Friends of alleged Charleston shooter Dylan Roof revealed more details about his personality and actions in the weeks before the shooting, The State reported.

The day of the shooting, Roof was protective of a “black bookbag” that his friends now think might have contained his ammunition. He was enthralled with the song “Ice Cream Truck,” by Montana of 300, which describes a drive-by shooting. According to his friends, Roof used cocaine on a daily basis and got drunk on vodka often.

Roof is being held in a Charleston jail. He has been indicted on nine counts of murder by a Charleston County grand jury and a federal grand jury.

Irmo firefighter proposes to girlfriend at end of 5K

According to WIS, 25-year-old firefighter Matt Malo proposed to his girlfriend, Danielle Sharkey, after they finished the Columbia “Tunnel to Towers” run. Malo’s fellow firefighters knew about his plan, but Sharkey was taken completely by surprise.

“You will never be prepared when somebody asks you to marry them if they do a good job,” Sharkey said.

The couple has been together for three years, and Malo has worked with the Irmo Fire Service for the past two years. They plan to get married late next year. 

Pope Francis to visit Philadelphia 

Pope Francis will visit Philadelphia Sept. 26 and 27 as part of the 2015 World Meeting of Families.

Francis will speak Mass at Cathedral Basilica of St. Peter and Paul on Saturday morning. According to The Los Angeles Times, Francis also will speak Mass outside the Philadelphia Museum of Art during his visit. He will also visit Independence Hall and a correctional facility while in Philadelphia.

Francis will speak the closing Mass for the World Meeting of Families on Sunday before departing for Rome.