Student Success Center launches Peer Writing Program

A classmate could very well be the one to help students who need a hand with their writing. That’s because, this semester, the Student Success Center has started a new Peer Writing program that seeks to help undergraduate students improve their college-level writing skills in a variety of academic disciplines, according to Assistant Director of Peer Learning Rachel Brunson.

“We are proud to announce that students can visit peer writing for any of the courses they are enrolled in,” Brunson said.

The Peer Writing sessions are tailored to meet individual questions and needs, and both one-on-one appointments and drop-in hours are available. Students can make an appointment and view the drop-in schedule on the Student Success Center’s revamped website, www.sc.edu/success. It has information on the schedule for programs and services and directions as to how to make appointments.

“The goal of this program is to engage students in learning opportunities that exist within the writing process, and to facilitate discussion on positive academic habits,” Brunson said.

This new program in the Student Service Center is a partnership with the Writing Center. Essentially, they have expanded the hours each week that are available for students to seek writing help, and they’ve utilized shared resources to cross-train the tutors.

“We are excited to work together to provide high quality support for students on campus,” Brunson said.

The Peer Writing tutors are made up of undergraduate students who have strong writing skills, have been referred by USC faculty members and have been trained by Student Success Center staff.

If students are interested in applying to serve as a Peer Leader in the Student Success Center, they can visit the website to view opportunities within their programs. The recruitment and hiring process is conducted midway through each semester.

The Student Success Center strives to be as comprehensive as possible with its programs, and the addition of Peer Writing adds another intentional level of support for students.

“We consider the SSC to be a one-stop-shop for academic support, but we also work closely with other departments and offices across campus who provide valuable resources,” Brunson said.

Students, such as second-year English student Presley Gilder, are already taking advantage of this extra writing help as schoolwork begins to pile up this semester.

“I think this program is very helpful because it’s a way to get assistance in classes as well as grow as a writer,” Gilder said.

The central office for the SSC is located on the mezzanine level of the Thomas Cooper Library. Satellite offices are located in Sims Hall and Bates House.