Riverbanks Zoo and Garden breaks admission record following flood

KRT SOUTH STORY SLUGGED: SC-PENGUINS KRT PHOTO BY JASON CLARK/THE STATE (January 3) Fifteen rockhopper penguins are currently part of a new exhibit at the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, South Carolina. (CS) PL KD 2001 (Horiz) (mvw)

Riverbanks Zoo and Garden offered complimentary admission to Richland and Lexington county residents in light of the historic flooding in the area when they reopened on Wednesday, Oct. 7, after being closed for two days. On Sunday, Oct. 12, zoo officials announced that a total of 29,345 guests took advantage of the opportunity to visit the zoo from Oct. 7 to Oct. 9.

According to a press release from Sunday, 22,712 of those guests received free admission, and Friday’s attendance of 13,752 was the largest crowd at the zoo since it opened in 1974.

Riverbanks Zoo President and CEO Satch Krantz was impressed by the number of people who visited.

“I have not seen anything of this magnitude in my 40-plus years at Riverbanks,” Krantz said. “Our thoughts are with all who are suffering. It was our hope that reopening the zoo would give our guests some sense of normalcy and put smiles on their faces.”

Even though the zoo is located close to the Saluda River, it received minimal damage and all of the animals were kept safe.

The Riverbanks Zoo and Garden will extend free admission to residents of the two counties again with the return of Free Fridays in January and February.