In Brief: 11/9/15

Missouri football players refuse to participate unless university president resigns

According to CNN, the African-American players at the University of Missouri have refused to play unless University President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed from his position. Due to several instances at the university including someone using feces to draw a swastika on campus in August, Missouri’s Legion of Black Collegians made the announcement that they will “no longer participate in any football related activities” until their demands are met. The players are frustrated that the leaders at the school are negligent “toward marginalized students’ experience”. The announcement came in a tweet from the organization Saturday after their 13-31 loss to Mississippi State on Thursday, Nov. 5.

First ever mosquito-spraying rescheduled for this week

According to The State Richland County officials, aerial mosquito spraying that was planned for a large portion of Lower Richland County last week has been postponed until this week. The postponement, announced Friday in a press release, was due to weather issues like rain and mist that reduced the ability to see over the past week when the spraying was scheduled for the nights of Tuesday, Nov. 3 and Wednesday, Nov. 4. This will be the first time the county will apply the aerial spray to decrease the mosquito population, which has gotten out of hand in Lower Richland County according to County Vector Control Director Tammy Brewer.

Federal aid will not be used to improve roads, only to repair

WIS reported Sundaythat none of the federal money used to repair roads damaged by last month’s historic flooding will be used to update the state highway system, but rather return the roads to their state before the flood. According to the State Department of Transportation (SCDOT) the only thing the federal aid will be used for is to make roads and bridges affected by the floods passable once again and stressed that the highway system will not be modernized with this government money. After over 500 roads were closed on Oct. 5, 54 roads and 29 bridges are still closed in the state, but it is unclear how much the repairs will cost.

— Compiled by Patrick Ingraham, News Editor