Tunnel of Awareness highlights issues facing students

<p>The Tunnel exposes students to the realities of the social and political challenges of other students that may have been previously hidden from them.</p>
The Tunnel exposes students to the realities of the social and political challenges of other students that may have been previously hidden from them.

Until Wednesday, students will have the opportunity to visually experience what it is like to go through the worldly issues that plague many people in society.

The Tunnel of Awareness, hosted by University Housing in the Russell House Ballroom, is a collection of exhibits that shed light on topics of social and political justice and awareness. Such topics include sexism, racism, privilege, throwaway culture, mental health and sexual assault. Because there are different perspectives and opinions surrounding social issues, the Tunnel aims not to change opinions but to raise awareness.

Before physically entering the tunnel, students are asked to silence their cell phones and keep conversation to a minimum in order to absorb the experience and its messages in full. The social issues covered by the Tunnel are each set off in blocks filled with decoration, art and bits of information that highlight the real world applications of the topics. Students are exposed to things such as the statistical effects of voter apathy among millennials and the specific terminology to be used for queer or transgender people. Additionally, the importance of seeking help for mental health issues was stressed with the slogan, "It's okay to not be okay."

Assistant Director of North Campus Housing Dan Colascione expressed the purpose and initiative behind the exhibit.

“The purpose is to raise awareness and shed light on different topics that some students on our campus face as well as bigger issues in society,” Colascione says. “A lot of the different topics are submitted by students on campus. So it wasn’t something that we just decided are the most important things ... it was based off submissions of the students here.”

Immediately after going through the exhibit, students are able to sit and reflect on the issues with their respective groups and University Housing staff. The focus of this is to create a comfortable space for students to discuss how the exhibit affected them and to provide students with resources to join initiatives for change regarding social issues in the community.

The Tunnel particularly put things into perspective for first-year economics and international business student Collin Kindig.

“It puts everything in front of you, whether that be the facts or just emotional responses. It’s important to take into account the different aspects of these issues,” Kindig said.

In covering diversity issues of race, sex, politics or mental health, the Tunnel encourages students to recognize their own privileges within certain areas where some people may be at a social disadvantage. First-year broadcast journalism student Sabrina Shutters touched on her personal reaction to the display.

“It was a really clear visual way that helped me to check in with my senses and become aware of all the current issues and prejudices,” Shutters said.

The Tunnel of Awareness ventures into the depths of issues surrounding students on campus, and it ultimately serves to guide students through what are justifiably important parts of a diverse and inclusive community.

Second-year international business student Trudee Wiltshire summed up the effect the exhibit had on her own campus experiences.

"I went to Tunnel of Awareness last year and realized just how many problems people our age face, even if it's not something I personally experience. Even an anonymous post on Yik Yak can turn someone's life around," Wiltshire said. "Tunnel of Awareness opens students' eyes to problems which are often overlooked and offers a safe place to reflect on those issues. I wish every student at USC could make it to Tunnel because talking about it doesn't do it all the justice."