Questions surround spring practice

1. Who’s playing quarterback?
Three quarterbacks with significant playing time return to South Carolina in 2016, but new co-offensive coordinators Kurt Roper and Brian McClendon likely won’t be judging a three-horse race.
Expect early arrival Brandon Mcllwain to push for playing time. A two-sport star and the nation’s second-ranked dual-threat quarterback out of high school, this freshman could be on the field early and often.
If Mcllwain struggles, returning starter Perry Orth is an option. The rising senior threw for 1,929 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2015, along with nine interceptions. Behind Orth is Lorenzo Nunez, who’s known for his ability to scramble.
Perhaps Connor Mitch could factor into the race, but Gamecocks’ fans haven’t heard much from him since a putrid performance in a loss to SEC Eastern Division rival Kentucky.

2. Who will replace Pharoh Cooper at wideout?
Cooper was Carolina’s most valuable player on offense in both ’14 and ’15, totaling 2,109 yards in his final two seasons in garnet and black.
Unfortunately for South Carolina, Cooper will be walking greener pastures in the NFL next season, which leaves Muschamp and the Gamecocks questions at the position.
Answers could come from three places. Firstly, Deebo Samuel could contribute. Samuel finished strong in 2015, ending the day with a 5-catch, 104-yard performance against rival Clemson.
If Nunez doesn’t find playing time at quarterback, he could fit in Roper’s system as a receiver. He’s tall and athletic. From Muschamp’s recruiting class, four-star Bryan Edwards could earn some playing time as well.

3. How improved will the defense be with the return of Skai Moore?
Muschamp and his staff of ace recruiters didn’t only sign the 27th ranked recruiting class on short notice, but they also convinced veteran South Carolina linebacker Moore to stick around for one more year. Moore will be playing safety in 2016 in an attempt to boost his draft stock.
With the return of the 6-foot-2, 218-pound Moore, the Gamecocks add depth, experience and seasoned talent. Not only that, but he should be a leader for Carolina’s defense, whether that’s on the field or in the locker room.
Moore bolsters the defense significantly, but will defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson be able to develop the rest? This question can only be answered with time.

4. Was Will Muschamp the right hire?
So far, so good. Muschamp stacked the Gamecocks’ staff with football knowledge and recruiting expertise. Muschamp put the coaching staff in place, and the staff worked to scrape together a top-30 recruiting class in the span of two months.
We know Muschamp can recruit and coach defense, but it’ll be a wait-and-see game to when it comes to the subject of Roper and offensive production. The ex-Florida coach will have to prove that he can win in the big, bad SEC on a second go-round.
The rebuilding task could be monumental, and the Muschamp question might not be answerable for the next two to three years. However, 2016’s recruiting class lays a solid framework for the future.