Southern music festivals add spice to summer

Performance artists march at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, Saturday, June 14, 2008. (Alex Marsh/McClatchy Interactive/MCT)

Music festivals are a staple of the summer season — filled with sunburned skin, endless laughs and tired and muddy feet, they dominate social media for the three months when students are school-free. Here is a list of five festivals near Columbia to help you start planning out your summer adventures.

Shaky Knees Music Festival — Atlanta, Georgia

When: May 13-15

Tickets: $215 (single-day tickets are also available)

Camping: No

With headliners Florence + the Machine, My Morning Jacket and Jane’s Addiction, this three-day festival is the perfect way to kick off an unforgettable summer. Held in Centennial Olympic Park in the heart of downtown Atlanta, the festival has five stages with over 75 bands performing — meaning there is something at Shaky Knees for everyone.

Hangout Music Fest — Gulf Shores, Alabama

When: May 20-22

Tickets: $269 — prices increase to $289 on April 2

Camping: No

College students are no strangers to Gulf Shores, but this music festival is unlike any other, taking place directly on the beach for three days. The festival is jam-packed with music and high-profile performers. Featuring The Weeknd, Alabama Shakes and Ellie Goulding — just to name a few of the stars making an appearance — the 2016 festival is bound to be a good time.

Bonnaroo Music Festival — Manchester, Tennessee

When: June 9-12

Tickets: $349.50

Camping: Yes

Self-proclaimed “the quintessential American music festival,” Bonnaroo has been serving the public a yearly dose of great music for over a decade. This is a widespread fest featuring endless tents and even more bands. Classics like Pearl Jam come under the same banner as newcomers like The Chainsmokers and Halsey to create an experience that serves every music taste imaginable. Tickets go quickly, though, so be sure to act fast.

Carolina Country Music Fest — Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

When: June 10-12

Tickets: $179

Camping: No

For all the country music lovers out there, this one is right in Columbia’s backyard. Fan favorites like Tim McGraw, Keith Urban and Jake Owen will be making an appearance alongside a dozen others and many more unreleased names. Although it coincides with Bonnaroo, it’s an easy choice for anyone who lives and breathes country music.

Forecastle — Louisville, Kentucky

When: July 15-17

Tickets: $169.50 (single-day passes will be available at a later date)

Camping: No

Although Louisville is a longer way to travel for a festival, the lineup just might make that hours-long drive worth it. Featuring The Avett Brothers, Alabama Shakes and Walk the Moon among other big names, this three-day festival located in one of the most hip, fun cities in Kentucky is bound to be a great time for music lovers of any age.