Key 2016 races set for around South Carolina

Newly-elected U.S. Sen. Tim Scott addresses the crowd at his victory party at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center in North Charleston, S.C., on Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2014. (Kim Kim Foster-Tobin/The State/MCT)

The 2016 election cycle has been one of national obsession with national politics as both major parties have slugged through high-stakes primary seasons. But below the radar, a number of state and local races and referendums are also raging.

South Carolina voters will head to the polls in November not just to cast a ballot for a new president, but also for a senatorial race and seven congressional races.

First-term Republican Sen. Tim Scott will face re-election for the first time since being sent to the U.S. Senate following the resignation of Sen. Jim DeMint. Scott, who is one of just two African-Americans currently serving in the Senate, is facing off against Democratic nominee Thomas Dixon. Dixon is a pastor and community activist from the Charleston area.

Longtime Sen. Lindsey Graham won't face re-election again until 2020.

All seven of South Carolina's congressional districts are up for grabs in 2016. Richland County is split between Districts 2 and 6. 

In District 2, Republican Rep. Joe Wilson will look to capture a seventh term against novelist and screenwriter Arik Bjorn from the Democratic side. Wilson made national headlines in 2009 when he exclaimed "You lie" during President Obama's first State of the Union address.

South Carolina's longest-serving representative, Democrat Rep. Jim Clyburn, is up for re-election in District 6. Clyburn, who also serves as House assistant minority leader, is facing a challenge on the right from Republican businesswoman Laura Sterling. 

While the ballot referendums for the November elections haven't been set, it's thought that a wide range of issues, from fetal personhood to minimum wage, could make an appearance.

State primary elections will be held on June 14, and general election day on Nov. 8. The last day to register to vote in the general election is Oct. 8.