USC offers solidarity, support for Orlando

In the wake of the tragic shooting in Orlando, Florida, the University of South Carolina and President Harris Pastides are ready to offer solidarity and support for those affected.

The U.S. saw the biggest shooting massacre in its history on Sunday. The shooting occurred at Pulse, a popular nightclub among Orlando's LGBTQ community. The gunman had reportedly pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group and showed signs of great homophobia, which has led to the condemnation of his actions as both domestic terrorism and hate crimes. Individuals and organizations across the country have expressed their sorrow and condolences honoring the 49 lives were taken by gunman Omar Mateen and the 53 more people who suffer from injury. USC is doing the same.

"We condemn the terrorist hate crime at Orlando's Pulse Club," Pastides tweeted Sunday. "We stand with the victimized community. This was an attack on all of us." 

Pastides also composed a letter that was posted to the university's website, and he tweeted the link with the hashtag #OrlandoStrong Tuesday morning.

The president began by alluding to the shooting and killing of nine attendants at Charleston's Mother Emanuel AME Church one year ago and listing off mass killings that have occurred since in the U.S. leading up to Sunday's massacre.

Pastides called upon the Carolina community to uphold the Carolinian Creed by standing against acts of hatred and violence. 

"Our Creed encourages the Carolina Family to practice personal integrity, to respect the dignity of all persons as well as their rights and property," Pastides said. "In addition, our Creed discourages bigotry while encouraging learning from the differences in people, ideas and opinions. Finally, we ask that each member demonstrate concern for others, their feelings and their need for conditions which support their work and development. It resonates and reverberates. It works."

On behalf of the university, Pastides offered sincere thoughts and prayers to the victims, families and anyone affected by the attack. He was also sure to acknowledge the Muslim community as the actions of Mateen are not a true reflection or an indictment of the Muslim faith. 

"Today, our Carolina Family stands with Orlando, with the victimized LGBTQ community, and with their families and friends," Pastides said.

The university is offering its service and support to the community to help relieve the traumatized and soothe the shaken. Counselors will be available to students, faculty and staff studying or working on campus, free of charge.

Pastides once again expressed grief on behalf of USC, condemning "senseless violence" throughout the country and the world, and concluded by calling for the Carolina community to stand together.

"Hatred of any kind is not a value that we, as Americans, can ever accept," Pastides said.