Incoming students to benefit from LGBTQ Peer Mentoring program

The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs has announced a new LGBTQ Peer Mentoring Program designed to help first-year and transfer USC students in the LGBTQ community adjust to life on campus.

According to the announcement on OMSA's web page, the program works by pairing students with peer advocates who can help guide them through their transition based on personal experience.

LGBTQ Peer Advocates are students who work within OMSA with a focus on "educating their peers to be more inclusive and supportive of LGBTQ and ally students." They also hold open caucus-type discussions called "LGBT Discussion Groups" every other week.

"There will be opportunities to meet other first-year students who identify on the LGBTQ spectrum through socials with mentees and mentors as well as events that will help students adjust to their new academic and social atmosphere," the announcement says.

Students will be able to meet personally with a mentor outside of the socials. Current students interested in registering for the program can do so through the web page and will be contacted by an OMSA officer soon after.

The LGBTQ Peer Mentoring Program is OMSA's newest addition to its support and advocacy services, which include the Multicultural Assistance Peer Program, the Men of Color Initiative, Quench (Queers + Lunch), the Safe Zone Ally Program and Trans Task Force.