10 online resources for young voters

Rock the Vote

Rock the Vote is a project dedicated to driving up the youth vote in America. Its website offers portals to help you register to vote and verify your registration in every state and territory. It also has a comprehensive list of every states' deadlines for registering to vote, requesting absentee ballots and submitting absentee ballots. 

Youtube's How to Vote in Every State 

One of the most confusing things for newer voters can be that every state has different rules and regulations when it comes to registering to vote and other aspects of the election process. Youtube is looking to remedy that this election cycle with a series of videos, one for each state, detailing the individual processes. The videos' descriptions even come with lots of links to various forms and portals for each state.

Politifact 

Cutting through all the spin to learn what candidates records and plans really mean can be a major headache. While The Tampa Bay Times' fact-checking site Politifact isn't perfect, the Pulitzer Prize-winning project can be a big asset in this fight. It goes through candidates' speeches, campaign ads and debate performances to find out what's true and rate how much campaign's are stretching the truth.

League of Women Voters

Don't let this organization's name fool you. No matter what gender you identify as, the League of Women Voters is a helpful resource. Their efforts on voter education can help you get registered to vote. They also provide guides for watching debates and partner with Vote411 to provide valuable information on state and local elections.

U.S. Election Assistance Commission

The U.S. Election Assistance Commission is the federal government's very own comprehensive resource for voters. It offers voter guides and information on getting registered to vote in every state and territory. The site can even help you learn how to volunteer at your local polling place on election day.

Campus Election Engagement Project

Campus Election Engagement Project is another site geared just for college-age voters. One of its core focuses is helping students and universities to get people involved in the election on their campuses. It also offers non-partisan voting guides to help students learn what candidates believe on the issues that matter most to younger voters. 

HeadCount

HeadCount is a non-profit that looks to combine music with civic action. It offers information on finding your polling place, getting registered and navigating voter ID laws as well as provide volunteer opportunities to help young people get even more involved. In addition, it also puts on concerts and festivals that let you get informed while watching an eclectic mix of music.

Ballotpedia

Ballotpedia is basically a Wiki for American politics. While it's actually more reliable than your average Wikipedia page — it has a full staff and is funded by a reputable non-profit — the easy to read and understand concept is still there. You can get a lot of information about federal and state candidates and policies to help you make informed decisions. 

Candidate websites

Candidates' campaign websites can be a mixed bag for voters looking to get informed. The information is usually slanted to make the candidate look good, so it often has to be taken with a grain of salt. But many sites also offer a good layout of the candidate's policies and plans if you can look past the political fluff.

Party websites

Political parties' websites work a lot like candidates' websites. There's a whole lot of propagandizing going on, but they also have valuable information. Parties' sites let you see their platforms, which literally include all the policy positions that members of the parties agreed on.