Student Health expansion nears completion

New facility will unify SHS, provide greater variety of services to students

The long-standing construction behind Russell House will soon end with the upcoming opening of the new student health center. The new building, which began construction in December 2015, is slated to open July 31.

The new LEED certified, 68,000-square-foot facility will create space to house all of Student Health Services in one complex. Currently the various branches of Student Health Services, such as campus wellness and counseling services, are spread across five different locations on campus. 

“One of the biggest things that we’re excited about is that we’re all going to be in a central location,” said Marjorie Duffie, Public Relations and Marketing Director for SHS.

“I think, too, it’s going make some of our services more accessible,” said Duffie, referring to Campus Wellness services such as stress management consultations and exercise consultations.

In addition to unifying SHS’s services, the new health center will offer several new facilities, including a new eye clinic and optical shop, a full rehab gym for physical therapy and a modern demonstration kitchen, which will allow SHS to offer more cooking classes.

Student cooking classes are "really aimed at teaching students proper nutrition and the skills that are needed to make their own meal,” said Jackie Knight, assistant director of Healthy Carolina Initiatives. 

“We’re really excited to actually meet the demand that we’re seeing for those classes," Knight said. 

The new health center will also allow SHS to focus on their Patient Centered Medical Home model, which will provide consistent, comprehensive care that considers all aspects of health and wellness.

“What it means for students is they’re able to build relationships with their providers through the use of care teams,” Duffie said. “We’re looking at all the needs of the student, not just what’s brought them into the office.” 

Students have also expressed excitement about the opening of the new health center and many are hoping that other students will use more of SHS’s services.

“Take advantage of the services, especially since they’re all in one building,” said Cydny Meeks, a first-year public health student. She added that the costs for many of the services are included in tuition. 

SHS served 17,892 patients in 2015-16, but they are hoping to increase student traffic with their new complex. Duffie encouraged students to visit the new facility regardless of their current state of health.

“Come take part in all the services that we offer," she said. "We offer so much more than just a doctor’s office visit when you’re sick.” 

The construction of the new health center will also include renovations to the primary student health building, Thomson Student Health Center. The two buildings will be connected by walkways and will combine to form a 100,000 square-foot student health complex.