South Carolina students lead celebration of UN Charter ratification

A common motto for UN volunteers is “Global Goals, Local Leaders”, a theme that was apparent at the State House when the South Carolina UN Association came together to celebrate the ratification of the UN Charter. Students from USC, USC Upstate and Clemson University lined the sidewalks in booths with assigned UN sustainable development goals ranging from clean energy to equity in education. 

Jordan Seaman, a fourth-year social work major, took part in sustainable development goal number four: providing education for vulnerable populations. For this goal, Seaman partnered with Adopt a Future which provides resources, supplies and training for teachers and schools.

Seaman became involved with the organization after taking an international social work class with a faculty advisor for the UN organization at USC. Seaman says that she is interested in the work of the UN in accomplishing sustainable development goals, so participating in UN Day was a good opportunity for her. 

"This is a that I can get involved and spread the word of how everyone else can be involved as well and still be in South Carolina,” she said.

Emma Dion, a second-year pharmacy student, participated with the organization Shot at Life. Dion explains that the goal of the organization is to “advocate and educate about global immunization programs.” Shot at Life goes to underprivileged communities to stress the importance of vaccines to local governments and to provide education for communities that may not understand the importance of vaccinations. Dion notes that there is a stigma around immunizations, and by educating globally, Shot at Life is trying to improve public health on a wide scale.

She also noted a program called "Give a Shot" through Walgreens which gives a shot to a person in need for every shot someone receives locally. This movement connects to the theme of acting locally, yet still reaching others globally. Dion says she and her fellow pharmacy students are in the unique position to understand poor access to vaccines since they are certified to give immunizations.

Ralph "RJ" Johnson, vice chair of United Nations Association-USA, says that problems with poverty are not just international. In his speech, Johnson challenged the audience to see growing ideological divides as surmountable. 

“Imagine a world where from continent to continent extreme poverty does not exist," Johnson said. "Imagine a world free from the horrors of human trafficking and child exploitation. Imagine a world where every person is able to live a healthy life and has access to sufficient food all year-round. Imagine that world, and raise your hand if you think it is one that's worth striving for." 

He then told the crowd to “take a mental picture” and remember that “there is solidarity and there is hope.”