Arts events in Columbia during Family Weekend

While the University of South Carolina provides many things for parents to do during Family Weekend, you may feel an urge to get away from the scheduled events and explore Columbia with your family. Here are some arts events going on in Columbia this weekend:

"Shakespeare in Love"

When: Oct. 5-13

Where: Drayton Hall Theatre

Price: $15 - $22

What: USC's Theatre and Dance Department is putting on the comedic and romantic production  "Shakespeare in Love." Directed by Andrew Schwartz, the play follows a young William Shakespeare (John Romanski) as he writes Romeo and Juliet. While battling writer’s block, Shakespeare finds his muse in Viola de Lessepes (Olivia Hensley) and begins to write the play. 

Ticket Info: Tickets can be purchased at Longstreet Theatre or online through the USC Department of Theatre and Dance website.

Columbia Museum of Art 

Hours open during Family Weekend: Friday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday noon to 5 p.m.

Where: 1515 Main St.

Price: $2.50 - $6

What: The Columbia Museum of Art is the place to see world-class art while in Columbia. Featuring the work of famous artists like Claude Monet, the museum is a great stop to make while in Columbia. The museum offers a variety of guided tours. Currently on exhibit is "Something's Happening: The Big Art of Katie Pell" and Hiroshi Sugimoto's "Time Exposed." While renovations are still underway, the main collection has reopened, offering a variety of different works of art for visitors to view.

Ticket info: Tickets can be purchased at the museum.

"West Side Story"

When: Oct. 5-7

Where: 1012 Sumter St.

Price: $15 - $25

Town Theatre will be closing their production of "West Side Story" during Family Weekend. This musical tells the love story of Tony and Maria and they struggle to gain acceptance from rival gangs in New York in the '50s. 

Ticket info: Tickets can be purchased at the Town Theatre box office or at www.towntheatre.com.

Soda City Market

When: Every Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Where: Main Street.

Price: Free

What: If your parents have never visited Columbia, taking them to Soda City Market is a must. There's just something about walking down Main Street on Saturday morning surrounded by the smell of fresh food from local vendors and the laughs of the various people enjoying their Saturday morning buying fresh local vegetables or checking out local art. Strolling down Main Street is also a great opportunity to window shop, stop by the Columbia Museum of Art or grab a vegan bite to eat at the Good Life Café.

"SILENCE! The Musical"

When: Oct. 5 to Nov. 3

Where: 520 Lady St.

Price: $25 - 35

What: Trustus Theatre will be running "SILENCE! The Musical," an unauthorized parody of the classic horror movie “The Silence of the Lambs." The satirical musical follows Clarice Starling, an FBI agent, as she partners with the infamous Dr. Hannibal Lecter to track down a serial killer. 

Ticket info: Tickets can be purchased at trustus.org