Freshmen continue to adjust to college life

As Family Weekend marks the midpoint of the fall semester, members of the class of 2022 have faced the challenge of adjusting to life as a college student amidst difficult classes and homesickness and are finding their place at USC. 

“So far, it’s been good. I miss home a little bit, I miss my family,” said Alexis Robinson, a first-year fashion merchandising student. “But I definitely don’t wish I was home right now. I don’t think classes are as hard as I expected them to be. It's manageable, the workload.” 

For some first year students like international business student Katie Hall, the shift from high school to college schedules was a big change, with scattered class times and the freedom to choose a schedule. 

“It’s been a lot different but it’s been really good not having to wake up at 6:30 [a.m.] and go to school until 3 [p.m.],” she said. “I have free time in the morning and free time in the afternoons.” 

In 2018, USC welcomed freshmen to campus with a variety of events such as Cocky’s Call on the Horseshoe, First Night Carolina and Convocation. Welcome Week was expanded to include Bustle at the Russell and outdoor movies along with the traditional student organization fair. Hall said she appreciated the opportunity to learn the traditions of the university and meet other new students. 

“During welcome week, I went to a few church events and I really liked First Night Carolina, that was a lot of fun,” said Hall. “Through that, I kind of got to meet more people and ... it made the campus feel small.”

Alayna Martin, a first-year international studies student said her experience at the organization fair had a big impact on her semester because it got her involved in multiple clubs. 

“It is better than what I expected because I really have loved the people that I met here and it’s not as difficult to find my classes and stuff as I thought it would be,” said Martin.

In getting involved on campus, Martin said she was able to feel immersed in college life and make friends. 

Recently, Martin attended a meeting for an international justice organization and hopes to become a part of it, while Hall is now involved with Shandon College and also plans to become a part of hall government in her dorm residence. 

“I do miss that familiar feel of home and some of the people and family,” said Hall. “But I would say that Columbia is beginning to feel like home.”