"Freak Out" and funnel cakes: Sights, sounds and smells from the South Carolina State Fair

With its sparkling neon lights, the South Carolina State Fair boasts a skyline akin to Las Vegas rather than Columbia. And the fair's "college night" tradition brings crowds of USC students, as well as other area college students, under the lights. 

College night offers free admission for attendees with their CarolinaCard.

For some like first-year business real estate student Amanda Cross, knowing the tricks of the fair is important. 

“Bring lots of cash 'cause most of the vendors are cash only," she said.

For others, it's all about the seemingly endless lines for the various food fair vendors. 

“I love funnel cake. Every time I go to the fair, I get a funnel cake," first-year chemistry student Bri Trotter said. 

Along with fried delicacies, college students and other fair attendees can take in various rides and shows. A large crowd congregated around a small dirt track, cheering for pig racing. The pig race is an annual fair tradition, and fairgoers love to see pigs named “Justin Be-boar” and “Ham Newton” flop around a makeshift track. 

A fair-favorite ride of attendees is “Freak Out." In it, riders are jolted and twisted, becoming more and more dizzy and disoriented. 

With dozens of rides and bizarre attractions, college night provided lots of laughs and a break from midterms for students. College night has passed, but the fair remains open through Oct. 21 and offers various deals throughout the week.