Cockstock brings music to Greene Street despite rain

This year’s Cockstock performance featured a different genre of music than in past years with pop star Daya and special guest Iyaz. The show also included a student DJ battle. Despite bad weather, many students came out to Greene Street on Oct. 26 to see the performance.

The night started off cold and rainy, with some students arriving wrapped in blankets in an attempt to stay warm. While waiting, the Carolina Productions crew handed out light-up wristbands to students who answered a survey about future comedian acts.

“I'd rather it be a little warmer, but it’s all right,” said first-year marine science student Annie Davis. “I don’t have very high expectations." 

Before the show, Iyaz came out to do a microphone check. Walking around the stage, Iyaz sang one of his better known songs, "Solo." After the microphone checks, the crowd started to flow in.

Iyaz opened Cockstock with upbeat songs, including some of his more well-known songs like “Pretty Girls” and “Replay." Later in the show, he switched to a Caribbean vibe, singing Bob Marley's “Three Little Birds." 

“The energy, and even when I didn’t know songs he still made it fun,” said first-year psychology student Morgan Cohan about her favorite part of Iyaz's performance.

After his performance, Iyaz took some time to take pictures with students.

Singer-songwriter Daya then took the stage as headliner. Her performance featured plenty of dancing and some of her more famous songs.

During Daya's set, she sang the song “Don’t Let Me Down," where she is featured with The Chainsmokers. She also covered Janelle Monae's song “Make Me Feel.” 

Daya also showed Gamecock spirit, leading a version of the "Game-cock" chant. After this, the crowd sang “Happy Birthday” to her, as her birthday was Oct. 24. 

Throughout her performance, Daya switched from an upbeat vibe to a more personal feel. She paid tribute to victims of last year's Lavs Vegas shooting by singing her song “Safe." She then switched to the piano to sing “Back to Me."

Daya wrapped up the evening with her popular song “Sit Still, Look Pretty.”