South Carolina track and field compete in Tiger Paw Invitational

Junior Quincy Hall beat the 400-meter school record he set last week and senior Yann Randrianasolo won the men's long jump as Gamecock track and field competed against Clemson at the annual Tiger Paw Invitational over the weekend. 

The South Carolina school record for the men's 400-meter can't seem to remain stable for more than a week. After senior Arinze Chance started the chain reaction of breaking the 400-meter school record back in January, Hall's time of 45.72 on Friday was the third record-breaking run the Gamecocks have seen in the event in this past month alone.

"Quincy ran really fast, and I'd love to see what he could have done in the fastest heat," head coach Curtis Frye said. "He's not happy about finishing third, but that's a good thing, because he's motivated to match the two guys who beat him when they cross paths in the postseason."

Hall's record-breaking time landed him in third place, behind Obi Igbokwe of Houston and Texas A&M's Devin Dixon. According to Gamecocks Online, the three athletes hold the three fastest times in the NCAA this season.

On the opening day of the competition, Randrianasolo won the men's long jump. The senior's mark of 7.78 meters was a performance that not only put points on the board for the Gamecocks, but also made progress towards his spot in the NCAA Indoor Track Championships.

Junior sprinter Wadeline Jonathas placed second in the women's 400-meter with a time of 52.86 seconds, but South Carolina's success in the quarter mile didn't end there. Redshirt junior Aliyah Abrams and junior Quincy Hall also earned podium finishes for the Gamecocks, each of them placing third in their 400-meter events.  

Saturday's events also saw improvement from the women's 4x400 meter relay. The squad consisting of Stephanie Davis, Aliyah Abrams, Tatyana Mills and Wadeline Jonathas finished the race less than a second behind Texas A&M's winning team.

It was the second-best effort in the nation this season and the fastest time run by a Gamecock women's 4x400 meter relay team since 2007.

"We got off to a good start, and Aliyah ran a 51-second leadoff leg, which was great," Frye said. "Tatyana also ran her best split of the year. Really all of those kids, Stephanie and Wadeline included, had great weekends. They're excited for what they can do in the postseason."

Senior Otis Jones also shaved time off his 800-meter race for the third consecutive week, racing a 1:49.47, the 23rd best mark in the NCAA this season.  

Several teams in attendance were ranked in the top 25 in the nation, including Florida, Houston and Texas A&M on the men's side, and Kentucky, Southern California and Tennessee in the women's lineup.

The Gamecocks will return home next weekend to host the USC Indoor Open, which will round out their regular season.