Muschamp optimistic about upcoming season at summer media day

Entering his fourth season as head coach, Will Muschamp said he wanted to focus on three things: leadership, developing depth and overall growth. 

The Gamecocks are coming off a 7-6 overall record and their third-straight bowl game appearance. Muschamp said he has high hopes his football program this year will be better than last season. Seven of the 16 starters are returning to offense and another seven are back on defense. In addition, both kickers from the 2018 season will return this year.

One of the biggest concerns for the 2019 football team is how the Gamecocks will replace Deebo Samuel, who was drafted to the San Francisco 49ers in April. Muschamp said he is confident the offense will not skip a beat despite losing such an explosive player. 

"[Samuel] is an outstanding football player. One missed tackle and he can score on you," Muschamp said. "Four in three years, so he was the best in the nation in that time in doing that. That's not going to be filled by one person."

Muschamp said he believes he has other young players, such as Shi Smith, who can step up to the plate in 2019 to make up for the loss of Samuel. 

“I think Shi has tremendous ball skills at the end of a catch. He’s got really good catch radius to be able to finish plays," Muschamp said. "I don’t know if he’s got the lower body that Deebo has as far as being able to run through contact. Deebo was a lot like a running back in a lot of situations. Shi can stick his foot in the ground.” 

Muschamp acknowledged issues with the defense, which was ranked the No. 68 overall defense in the country in 2018. 

“We've got to play much better at the safety position. I am young, somewhat, but I am an old fashion 'you better be good down the middle,' and we just weren’t last year," Muschamp said. 

Senior T.J. Brunson, who led the Gamecocks with 106 tackles in 2018, is returning to the team.

On the third side of the ball, special teams, Muschamp said he is confident in redshirt junior Parker White, who received the Jim Carlen Most Valuable Player — Special Teams award in 2018. White also received a full scholarship during the spring game in April. 

Although White racked up a list of accolades in the offseason, Muschamp said he doesn't see it changing White as a football player. 

"Parker has always been a calm, cool individual,"  Muschamp said. "He did have a shaky first year, and a lot of that was one me. He went back in offseason and worked extremely hard fundamentally on the things that he needed to work on."

Muschamp said this summer was the best he's had yet, crediting strength and conditioning coach Jeff Dillman's assistance.

In addition, Muschamp is confident in the depth of his team, something he said was lacking in the past. 

Muschamp and the rest of the Gamecocks look to put the preseason talks to rest and prove themselves this year starting Aug. 31 when they take on the North Carolina Tar Heels in Charlotte. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m at Bank of America Stadium and can be viewed on ESPN.