New, local businesses kick off in Columbia

Sneaky Pete’s 

Since opening Sneaky Pete’s Oct. 15, owner Robert Ballentine has kept one goal at the forefront of his business: to stand out. In a location such as Five Points, packed with bars and restaurants, standing out might seem difficult, but he said he thinks the food and atmosphere of Sneaky Pete’s give it a leg up against the competition. 

Ballentine said Sneaky Pete's menu was "fair-food mixed with Americana." He said some standout items include deep-fried Oreos, a hot dog wrapped in bacon served with cheese fries and a doughnut-fried chicken sandwich. For those looking for simpler options, Sneaky Pete’s offers classics such as wings and sliders.

The atmosphere is prohibition-themed and retro, Ballentine said, with colorful decorations, such as a stoplight that's inspired by the era. 

As for its clientele, Sneaky Pete’s aims to be all-inclusive.

“We are a family-friendly restaurant that people can, you know, bring their kids and have a great experience,” Ballentine said.

The restaurant features an ice cream bar with plenty of flavors for kids and a liquor moonshine ice cream for adults.

“We’re trying to bring something fresh and different to the community,” Ballentine said.

The Well Collective 

A consolidation of a shop, cafe, exercise studio and spa, The Well Collective provides everything needed for a healthy mind and body. Founded by Kelly Holbrook and Hannah Bratcher, The Well Collective opened Aug. 1 and houses many local health and wellness businesses.

The Well Collective is comprised of three parts: the shop, the studio and the cafe. Studio Fire, with its infrared heated facilities, is home to a variety of fitness classes, including hot yoga, barre, high-intensity interval training and meditation. 

The cafe is a plant-driven coffee shop that serves vegan options and hustle smoothies and is available for meetings, events and private parties. The boutique features athletic wear and other wellness-related merchandise, including local or female-owned businesses. 

In addition, there is an in-house esthetician from Piper Blue Esthetics, a masseuse specializing in reiki, CBD and therapeutic massages and a nutritionist.  

“We love working with people who pour so much love and passion into what they do,” Holbrook said. 

Everything at The Well Collective is open to the public, but they also offer memberships. The “All the Things” package provides one month of unlimited classes at the studio, a facial, a massage and credits to the cafe for $222. Holbrook and Bratcher said they "welcome everybody, wherever they're at in their health and wellness journey.”  

Bubba’s Biscuit 

Bubba’s Biscuit, owned by Arif Rizvi and his daughter Zoya, is classic Southern cooking with a twist. Originally, Rizvi said he thought about turning the space into a coffee shop, but decided he wanted to create something unique that could become a "destination." That something turned out to be biscuits. 

Open for breakfast, brunch and lunch, Bubba’s Biscuit takes the classic butter biscuit and serves it with creative toppings, making it a standout option for anyone in search of comfort food. Some popular menu items include classic recipes, such as egg and cheese biscuits and fried chicken with gravy and biscuits, and more extravagant options, such as the Philly cheesesteak or the bang bang shrimp biscuit. 

Bubba’s Biscuit is a casual, counter-service restaurant, but Rizvi said he puts an emphasis on hospitality and customer service. 

“We want to give our guests the best experience possible,” Rizvi said.    

Transmission Arcade

Transmission Arcade is bringing the concept of a “barcade” to Main Street. Cam Powell, Josh Rainwater and Bradley Randolph, the brains behind Transmission, plan to open the doors Jan. 1, 2020, but the idea of an arcade bar has already gained traction through pop-up events. 

Transmission is a spin on a traditional arcade in that it will put equal focus on the bar. They plan to start off with just wine and beer, and will have 12 taps, bottled and canned beverages. There will be a full-service kitchen run by local wing restaurant Smokey Loggins.

Transmission plans to feature classic arcade games from the '80s and '90s, such as Star Wars pinball and NBA Showtime, and to play vinyl records, elevating the experience from a different perspective.