Top moments in Gamecock sports over last four years

<p>Coach Will Muschamp celebrates the upset victory over No. 3 UGA with sophomore defensive back Jaycee Horn.</p>
Coach Will Muschamp celebrates the upset victory over No. 3 UGA with sophomore defensive back Jaycee Horn.

When thinking of the top moments in Gamecock athletics, the first things that come to mind, for most, are the great runs by the men's and women's basketball teams in 2017. The men's team made an outstanding run by defeating Duke University and Baylor University and making it all the way to the Final Four. The women's team took the hardware home and cut down the net after beating Stanford in the Final Four, and then Mississippi State in the national championship.

However, there are many more moments to be proud of. They might not all be national championship runs, but they are moments that should not be forgotten.

Football: Beating Georgia in 2019

<p>Freshman quarterback Ryan Hilinski celebrates after South Carolina beat No. 3 UGA Saturday.</p>
Freshman quarterback Ryan Hilinski celebrates after South Carolina beat No. 3 UGA Saturday.

In October 2019, the Gamecocks marched into Sanford Stadium to battle an SEC powerhouse program, the then-No.
3 ranked Georgia Bulldogs. In the first half, the Gamecock defense showed up, and Georgia’s unstoppable offense didn’t. Defensive back Israel Mukuamu returned an interception for a touchdown, boosting the team into a 17-10 lead going into the half. After a dominating performance from the Gamecock defense, Dakereon Joyner stepping up on offense and two more interceptions from Mukuamu, Georgia kicker Rodrigo Blankenship missed the game-tying field goal in double overtime, giving the Gamecocks the win. It was an upset that truly shook the nation.

Women’s basketball: Beating UConn for first time in school history in 2020

Freshman guard Zia Cooke attempts to keep the ball away from two UConn players. Cooke scored 15 points and had four rebounds against the Huskies.

The 2019-2020 South Carolina women’s basketball team was no squad to mess with. After bulldozing their way through other basketball superpowers such as Maryland and Mississippi State, no one in Colonial Life Arena was worried about facing the No. 5 Connecticut Huskies. It was a dominating performance by the Gamecocks and an even better showing by the fans. After losing to UConn in the last eight meetings, senior guard Tyasha Harris and the rest of the team finally pulled it off in a sold-out Colonial Life Arena.

Men’s basketball: Buzzer-beater against Kentucky in 2020

In one of the wilder years of college basketball, South Carolina had one of the craziest finishes of the year when Jermaine Couisnard hit the buzzer-beating game-winner against No. 10 Kentucky. The Gamecocks kept fighting back and stayed in the game, even when it almost slipped away midway through the second half. Redshirt freshman guard Jermaine Couisnard put up 26 points and sealed the deal with the buzzer-beater just inside half-court, stamping this night as one of the best nights for Gamecock basketball.

Men’s soccer: Upset against No. 12 Kentucky in 2016

It was a memorable night in Stone Stadium for the Gamecocks. It was senior night, and this game was important for the Gamecocks heading into the postseason. It was a fast-paced game, with the shot count remaining even throughout almost the entire game. In the final minutes, then-sophomore Andre Streete headed in his first career goal for the lead off a corner kick from then-senior Danny Deakin.

Women’s soccer: Postseason run in 2019

For the first time in almost 10 years, the women’s soccer team sealed the SEC title against Arkansas late in the season. With leadership from the seniors, the Gamecocks went on a prolific run in the SEC tournament with dominant performances all the way up to the Elite Eight. Seniors Grace Fisk and Mikayla Krzeczowski's were both named United Soccer Coaches All-Americans for their performances.

Baseball: Hiring Mark Kingston in 2017

In 2017, South Carolina made the decision to sign head coach Mark Kingston to a six-year contract. Mark Kingston has had a history of going far in the postseason and has even made it to the College World Series. With his accomplished resume among other candidates, Kingston was a no-brainer. 

Club lacrosse: Winning MCLA national title in 2019

In spring 2019, the South Carolina club lacrosse team took home the Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association (MCLA) national title after taking down No. 1 California Golden Bears. The Gamecocks finished the season with a record of 21-2. They worked hard all year and raised money to go to the national championship. With the final score of 13-8, the club Gamecocks were national champs.