The Daily Gamecock

USC COVID-19 update: Active cases continue to decline, alert level falls to 'new normal'

There are 170 active cases of COVID-19 at the University of South Carolina, according to Friday’s COVID-19 dashboard update. The dashboard has also been changed to include new information, such as the number of recovered individuals.

The active case count has decreased 26 cases from Tuesday’s count of 196. Students make up the majority of these cases at 164, while there are six cases among university employees. There are 299 pending tests that are awaiting results. 

While COVID-19 testing is still down from its peak of over 2,000 tests per reporting period, there has been an increase over the last few days. From Sept. 15 to Sept. 17, 1,468 tests were processed, as opposed to the 1,021 processed from Sept. 11 to Sept. 14. 

Quarantine and isolation housing have 13.4% of its beds in use currently, leaving 86.6% available. This means 111 spaces out of 828 are filled currently. Bates West, the National Advocacy Center and SpringHill Suites in the Vista are all serving as quarantine/isolation locations for students.

The total percent positive rate has fallen to 5% on Friday from Tuesday’s 6.7%. The student positive test rate is also at 6.2%, while among university employees, it is 0.8%.

New sections have been added to the dashboard since its last update. The total number of people who have recovered from COVID-19, now at 2,124, can be seen. The number of positive tests per reporting period has been added. The dashboard also displays three reporting periods now, instead of two. 

Additionally, the section showing how many classes were hybrid/face-to-face classes vs. online classes offered has been removed. 

Lastly, after three weeks at the “low” alert level, the university is now back down to the “new normal” level, the lowest on the alert scale. 

The alert level is calculated using 11 factors, including testing, on-campus case burden and quarantine/isolation capacity.

The COVID-19 dashboard will be updated every Tuesday and Friday.  


Comments

Trending Now




Send a Tip Get Our Email Editions