COVID-19 on campus: University reports increase to 40 active total cases

USC reported 40 total active cases of COVID-19 on campus, according to its updated online dashboard. This is a slight increase from last week when the university reported 34 total active cases.

Twenty-eight of the cases are students, and the remaining 12 are faculty and staff. Almost 6,500 tests were performed between Oct. 10 to 16. Students had a positive rate of 0.5%, and faculty and staff had a positive rate of 0.7%. 

It is Group Three's turn to be tested as part of the university's mandated testing plan. Off-campus students with last names Kt through Rh are required to test this week. On-campus students in certain residences halls, which you can find here, must test as well. 

All students, faculty, staff and employees can get tested this week in the Carolina Coliseum, located at 701 Assembly St., and the Russell House basement from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Faculty, staff and GA only testing will be at 1311 Pendleton St. from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

You can also schedule a testing appointment through MyHealthSpace. 

There have been 1,496 cases of COVID-19 on campus since Aug. 1. The majority of the cases, 1,351 cases, have been students, while 145 have been faculty and staff. 

As of Oct. 16, 67.2% of the campus community, including students, faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. 66.9% of students, 75.9% of faculty and 64% of staff are fully vaccinated. 

Faculty, staff and students and members of the public can receive the COVID-19 vaccine on a walk-in basis at the Center for Health and Wellbeing. Appointments can be made on MyHealthSpace.

The overall alert level is at .30 at the “new normal” level. The alert level is based on 11 factors, including campus testing, isolation capacity and campus case burden.  

The COVID-19 dashboard is updated every Tuesday.