Analysis: Gamecocks get confidence-building win heading into SEC opening series

<p>The Gamecocks gather together to celebrate their win against Gardner-Webb on Tuesday, March 15, 2022. The Gamecocks won 12-0 against Gardner-Webb.</p>
The Gamecocks gather together to celebrate their win against Gardner-Webb on Tuesday, March 15, 2022. The Gamecocks won 12-0 against Gardner-Webb.

South Carolina took an early lead and never looked back in its 12-0 midweek win over Gardner-Webb. The game was called in the seventh inning due to the 10-run rule. 

The offense was on full display for the Gamecocks as it hit two home runs within the first 15 pitches, forcing the Runnin' Bulldogs to relieve its starting pitcher after just one inning.

Fifth-year senior outfielder Brandt Belk was able to keep up his hot-streak, knocking the first pitch he saw into the opposing bullpen for a home run while recording 2 RBI on the night. 

Freshman shortstop Michael Braswell shined yet again, finishing 2-3 at the plate with 2 RBI. Braswell extended his hitting streak to 16, notching at least one hit in each game of his young career. 

"There's a long way to go," Braswell said. "It's great to have that, but at the same time, my goal is to just help my team and my goal is to just help us win. Whether I have a hitting streak or not, that's my goal, so it's cool but gotta take it with a grain of salt."

<p>Senior infielder Kevin Madden hits a home run early in the game against Gardiner Webb on Tuesday, March 15, 2022. This home run brings Madden's total up to three home runs this season.</p>
Senior infielder Kevin Madden hits a home run early in the game against Gardiner Webb on Tuesday, March 15, 2022. This home run brings Madden's total up to three home runs this season.

Senior third baseman Kevin Madden had good performance of his own, going 2-3 at the plate with a home run, 2 RBI and a stolen base.

On the other side of the ball, the young Gamecock pitchers held Gardner-Webb in check the entire game, allowing only five hits while shutting them out.

South Carolina has used a carousel of starting pitchers this season and added another name to that list on Tuesday. Freshman right-handed pitcher Aidan Hunter made his first career start, giving up zero runs and striking out three batters in his four innings of work.

"I thought he did well, he did exactly what we wanted," head coach Mark Kingston said. "He was very efficient, he let his defense play."

Freshman right-handed pitcher Cade Austin came in to relieve Hunter in the fifth inning, throwing two innings and striking out four batters.

Kingston spoke after the game about how the last few games have boosted the team's confidence heading into SEC play.

"Sunday's doubleheader win was huge for us in terms of getting that mojo back," Kingston said. "Tonight was just another game that you try to build on that ... when you get opportunities to get confidence, it definitely helps."

The Gamecocks will be back in action on Friday at 6:30 p.m. as the team travels to Knoxville, Tennessee to take on the No. 7 ranked Volunteers in its SEC opener.