Head coach Shane Beamer praised energy in practice ahead of first spring scrimmage

<p>FILE— Head coach Shane Beamer walks on the sidelines during warmups before a game.</p>
FILE— Head coach Shane Beamer walks on the sidelines during warmups before a game.

The South Carolina football team dealt with goal line and short yardage situations in its seventh practice of the Spring, head coach Shane Beamer said at his weekly press conference on Tuesday.

“So many of those critical moments showed up last year in games, good and bad,” Beamer said.

Offensively, Beamer specifically mentioned short yardage situations versus Kentucky that were not converted. On the defensive side of the ball, he mentioned a goal line pass that Missouri converted because of a miscommunication.

“Emphasizing the importance of all those situations and going out there and working on it this morning, and I love the physicality that we’re practicing with and the energy we’re practicing with,” Beamer continued.

A number of high school prospects and coaches attended the Gamecocks' Tuesday practice, Beamer noted that the group was impressed with the energy displayed by the players.

“The one thing they all comment on, every single person, is the energy at practice and how it’s different than a lot of places they’ve been, and that’s a credit to our players and staff,” Beamer said. 

Injury-wise the discussion was hopeful, Beamer reported that no new major injuries have popped up with mostly hamstring or groin strains issues recently.

Beamer also discussed how junior quarterback Luke Doty and redshirt-junior quarterback Spencer Rattler have helped each other improve during spring practice.

“It’s huge. They’ve been great for each other.” Beamer said.

Rattler's experience from playing in "a lot" of games -- along with winning conference championships -- is beneficial for Doty, Beamer said. From Rattler's perspective, Beamer said that Doty's knowledge of the playbook can help him integrate into the Gamecock offense.

Rattler's fellow Oklahoma transfer Austin Stogner is expected to be on campus sometime in May or June. Beamer said the junior tight end has four classes to finish before graduating from Oklahoma. 

Beamer added that Stogner has observed practice “a couple times,” but is in a situation similar to a high school prospect who has signed. Beamer said the football staff has worked closely with compliance staff to stay within NCAA rules.

Next up for the Gamecocks is another practice on Thursday, March 31 before the team's first full scrimmage on Saturday, April 2.