USC student killed in overnight shooting, Columbia police say

<p>FILE — A photo of the street signs at the intersection of South Holly Street and Oceola Street on Saturday, Aug. 26, 2023. A USC student was fatally shot and killed in the 500 block of South Holly Street early Saturday morning.</p>
FILE — A photo of the street signs at the intersection of South Holly Street and Oceola Street on Saturday, Aug. 26, 2023. A USC student was fatally shot and killed in the 500 block of South Holly Street early Saturday morning.

A USC student was fatally shot and killed in the Rosewood area early Saturday morning.

Nicholas Anthony Donofrio, 20, from Connecticut was found deceased around 2 a.m. on the porch of a home in the 500 block of South Holly Street, according to the Columbia Police Department. Donofrio was a second-year exercise science student.

Police went to the area in response to a home burglary call and, while in transit, were notified that shots were fired. 

Upon arrival, officers found Donofrio with a gunshot wound to his upper body.

Officials said Donofrio lived on South Holly Street and attempted to enter the wrong home when he was shot.

University spokesperson Jeff Stensland said USC's office of Student Affairs is providing support to those affected by the shooting.

Editor's note: This is a developing story. Check back for more updates.

Correction: A previous version of this article misidentified Donofrio as a member of a campus organization.