In Brief: Oct. 2

Eight teens arrested for involvement with murder

Eight teens have been arrested in conjunction with the deaths of two Bishopville teens, The State reported.

Lee County Sheriff Daniel Simon said Wednesday that Dontrell Fortune, 18, and Shakez Bracey, 17, were shot and killed.

The altercation occurred over drug money, according to the Lee County Sheriff's Office.

Police believe that Fortune and his two brothers shot and killed Bracey Friday and Bracey's friends murdered Fortune in retaliation.

Fortune was shot and killed Saturday morning.

Bracey was reported missing when he didn't return from school Friday. His body was found about a mile from Fortune's home Tuesday afternoon.

Along with the eight teenagers, a 48-year-old woman was arrested for being an accessory to murder.

Those involved with the two shootings were charged with murder. One teenage accomplice was arrested for accessory after helping the others evade the police.

Calhoun County man still at large

Calhoun County Sheriff's Department is still searching for a man who cut a woman's throat, WIS reported. 

According to Sheriff Thomas Summers , 35-year-old Charles Lamont Winston, Jr., invited a woman over to his house late Tuesday night.

After being in the house for a couple of minutes, the woman tried to leave. Before she could, Winston cut her throat and cheek before she escaped.

Summers said Winston has a history of mental illness and should be considered armed and dangerous.

He also said the attack on the woman was "seemingly unprovoked and brutal."

Summers said if anyone comes into contact with Winston they should not try to talk to him and should call 911 instead.

Anyone wanting to remain anonymous can call Crimestoppers.

Secret Service Director steps down

Secret Service Director Julia Pierson resigned from her position Wednesday, USA Today reported.

The resignation came after scrutiny from lawmakers about her recent miscues in presidential security.

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said that the Secret Service will now be evaluated by a panel of "independent experts."

Pierson will be succeeded by former Secret Service official Joseph Clancy,  who will take over the position on an interim basis.

The resignation came on the heels of a man climbing over the fence of the White House and making his way into the executive mansion before being caught.

Officials also said this week that an armed security guard with a felony record was allowed to board an elevator with President Barack Obama , which is a violation of Secret Service protocol.