New venue brings new energy to Bid Day

Despite stormy weather and delays, nothing could put a stop to the hectic spectacle that was sorority Bid Day at South Carolina.

Every year following the conclusion of formal rush, a new group of potential new members (PNMs) await with anticipation which sorority will offer them a bid. 

Meanwhile, on-looking sorority sisters clap and chant at the top of their lungs while dressed in tank-tops, flash tattoos, neon baseball caps, glitter, fanny packs and more while they await their new members with a similar anticipation.

In the past, the event has always taken place on campus at the Horseshoe. This year, for the first time, the venue changed to the Colonial Life Arena.

Fourth-year exercise science student and Sorority Council President Brady Newell said the decision to break from tradition and change the location this year was made by executive officers from each chapter in cooperation with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

“While we’ve enjoyed the tradition of hosting Bid Day on the historic Horseshoe, we hope the Colonial Life Arena will provide a safe, comfortable and weather-proof environment conducive to welcoming new members into our growing Panhellenic community,” Newell said in an email.

Newell also said that more than 1,600 PNMs registered to participate in the primary recruitment process. This is also the first bid day since adding the 12th Panhellenic chapter, Pi Beta Phi, to campus.

The event was originally scheduled for 2 p.m. but was delayed until 4:30 p.m. due to some technical difficulties according to Fraternity and Sorority life Director of Student Services Anna Edwards.

“We do apologize for any confusion or inconveniences due to the scheduling but we appreciate everyone’s cooperation,” Edwards said. “It was imperative that we reviewed everything to ensure it was accurate and that all of these young women go where they’re supposed to.”

In addition to providing a dry and weather-free environment, the arena also cut out any potential harm to PNMs who, in the past, were prone to tripping on the bricks while running down the Horseshoe after receiving their bid. 

The change may also break ties with Bid Day’s other, more frowned upon tradition: “The Running of the Pigs”.

“To me, the term ‘running of the pigs’ signifies the gross misrepresentation of sorority women everywhere,” Newell said. “Sororities were founded as a place for like-minded women to share in the pursuit of higher ideals as women emerged onto college campuses more than 150 years ago.”

Delta Zeta member and junior Chesney Lyles said although being in the Colonial Life Arena had a new feel to it than being on the Horseshoe, it was still a great way to begin a new tradition.

“It’s different breaking from that long tradition of being on the Horseshoe, but I feel like being in this arena brings everyone closer no matter what sorority you’re in,” Lyles said. “It also keeps the energy at a really high level when everyone is screaming and clapping and getting into it.”

When doors opened at 4:30 p.m. to spectators, the over 1,400 PNMs who participated sat on the floor of the arena in their Pi Chi groups. Pi Chi leaders disaffiliate themselves from their respective chapters in order to take the new members on their journeys through recruitment.

Soon after family, friends and spectators were seated, the real excitement began as sisters from the twelve Panhellenic chapters began to file into their designated sections all while clapping and shouting chants.

After all the sorority girls congregated in their areas, the PNMs were instructed to stand up, turn around and circle up as the Pi Chis handed the girls their shirts indicating which sorority had given them a bid.

Finally, after counting down from 10, the girls looked at their shirts and the traditional pandemonium of Bid Day ensued as the girls sprinted in a joyous chaos to celebrate with their new sisters.

As the school year kicks off, a new chapter has begun with new sorority members and a new bid day tradition. 

However, there's one thing that hasn't changed — the joy and chaos of another USC bid day.