Gamecocks fall to Missouri as Nunez struggles

A freshman quarterback showdown turned into a second half blowout, as the Gamecocks fell to the Missouri Tigers 24-10.

Each team began the game with a three-and-out before freshman quarterback Drew Lock put the Missouri Tigers on the board with an 8-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Nate Brown.

South Carolina’s offensive line struggled throughout the first half, most notably in the first quarter, as freshman quarterback Lorenzo Nunez was sacked on third down times during the Gamecocks' first three possessions. Of those three possessions, two resulted in punts and one with a 34-yard field goal from junior placekicker Elliott Fry. The field goal was set up by a 35-yard reception to junior wide receiver Pharoh Cooper who finished the half with six receptions for 87 yards.

The Gamecocks never led in the first half but tied the game at 10 a piece in the second quarter when Nunez connected with redshirt senior tailback Shon Carson for an 8-yard touchdown pass that was deflected off the Missouri defense. On that same drive, Missouri’s five-star defensive recruit Terry Beckner Jr. was disqualified for targeting.

Defensively, South Carolina prevented the long ball, but was torched by a variety of short passes from Lock. Brown entered the locker room with two touchdowns on five receptions and 23 receiving yards.

Redshirt junior quarterback Perry Orth appeared late in the second quarter, as Nunez left the game with an apparent ankle injury. However, Nunez was soon cleared to return.

South Carolina’s most glaring issue, though, was on special teams. Redshirt junior punter Sean Kelly muffed his first punt, which netted 17 yards. That punt, along with a kickoff out-of-bounds, gave the Tigers great field position in the first half.

The Gamecocks entered the break trailing Missouri 17-10, after Fry missed a 44-yard field goal attempt with 38 seconds remaining in the half.

Missouri’s seventh-ranked defense took over the game in the third quarter. South Carolina’s first three possessions out of the break resulted in interceptions by the Tiger defense. Despite this poor stretch for Nunez, head coach Steve Spurrier elected to keep the quarterback on the field.

Orth entered the game again with 10 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter after Nunez exited due to a shoulder injury. Nunez did not return but ended the game on a high note with a 29-yard rush into Missouri territory. Nunez led all South Carolina rushers with 15 carries for 60 yards.

South Carolina was shut out in the second half, as the Tigers ran out the clock on the ground. Running back Ish Witter totaled 98 yards on 17 carries, which alleviated the pressure from Lock’s shoulders.

The Gamecocks' offense scored a touchdown on their only possession in the fourth quarter, but it was nullified after Cooper was called for an illegal screen. This penalty killed any hopes South Carolina had for a potential comeback.

Key Stats

The Nunez-Cooper thrived yet again in Saturday’s contest. Cooper caught nine passes for 102 yards and was Nunez’s primary target all game. Despite his inaccuracies in the second half, Nunez proved he’s got the potential to develop into a reliable starter in the future.

Sophomore running back David Williams’ 16-yard rush was his longest of the season, and his 4.4 yards per carry were far above his season average.