Top 4 stories from New York Comic Con 2016

Besides Comic Con International in San Diego, New York Comic Con is the next biggest and important con for publishers to advertise their upcoming projects in comics and other media. With another NYCC come and gone, these are four of the biggest stories to come from this year’s con:

1. "Wolverine 3" officially titled “Logan” 

Although technically revealed the day before the con started, the new Wolverine film was certainly a big topic of discussion when director James Mangold tweeted out a page of the script and a poster, both prominently featuring the title “Logan.” For comic fans, this may be somewhat unsurprising as the rumor for the past year has been that the movie will be influenced heavily by a storyline called “Old Man Logan” by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven that featured a elderly and emotionally broken Wolverine going on one last mission of revenge in the Marvel Universe. This will be Hugh Jackman’s final appearance as the character after portraying Wolverine in eight prior films, and will usher in Logan’s young female clone, Laura, better known as X-23. “Logan” is set to release in March 2017.

2. Former Image and DC imprint “Wildstorm” relaunching

When Image Comics formed in 1992, one of the founding members, Jim Lee, created his own imprint entitled Wildstorm which gave rise to teams like Gen-13 and WildC.A.T.S. Eventually, Jim Lee joined DC Comics and Wildstorm came with him in 1999. Wildstorm would flourish for the next few years with comic legends Alan Moore and Brian K. Vaughn both doing work for the company, but perhaps most importantly, Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch created “The Authority,”a superhero team that would do anything necessary to win. At NYCC, DC announced that Warren Ellis would be relaunching the Wildstorm universe in February starting with the title “The Wild Storm” that will pave the way for all new series focusing on classic characters from the imprint.

3. The Kamandi Challenge honors the King, Jack Kirby

Formerly announced at WonderCon, DC Comics expanded on what exactly the Kamandi Challenge is at NYCC. Kamandi was a character created by comics’ most famous artist Jack Kirby when he moved to DC after working at Marvel for years. A teenage boy living in the far dystopian future where time seems to have moved backwards into more primitiveness, Kamandi attempts to survive in the strange world he finds himself in. In celebration of Kirby’s 100th birthday in 2017, the Kamandi Challenge will feature 12 randomly selected teams chosen to tell a self-contained story that the next team must build upon in a separate part of Earth A.D. With the immense talent working on this series and the interesting challenge put forth, this will be something to keep an eye out for.

4. Marvel’s huge Netflix news

Marvel’s newest Netflix show, “Luke Cage,” was a huge success, and it looks like will look to build on this with “Iron Fist.” Marvel released the first trailer to the show featuring Finn Jones (Game of Thrones) as Danny Rand and announced earlier that the series will premiere March 17, 2017. In addition to this, the panel surprisingly turned attention to “The Punisher” series that Jon Bernthal and Jeph Loeb confirmed was officially one week into production. Not much new information was given except that “Daredevil” actress Deborah Ann Woll will join Bernthal in the series. Finally, the cast of “The Defenders” (Charlie Cox, Krysten Ritter, Mike Colter, Finn Jones) all came out and Loeb revealed that the villain for the series will be played by Sigourney Weaver. Marvel’s Netflix shows do not look like they will be slowing down anytime soon.