Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram both expected to be OK after injuries Tuesday

Clowney sprains foot, Ingram bruises thigh

Heralded freshman Jadeveon Clowney suffered a left ankle/foot sprain during practice Tuesday, but the injury is not thought to be serious.

"He sprained his foot a little bit," said USC coach Steve Spurrier. "The [doctor] doesn't think it's anything too bad."

Clowney left USC's session at the Bluff Road practice fields early, heading back to the stadium with team medical staff.

Clowney had a visible limp but was walking completely under his own power.

The injury was suffered during the team scrimmage portion of practice.

"I was actually blocking him," said offensive lineman Kyle Nunn. "It was a pass play and he tried to do a little swim move, and I don't know what happened. I think he tweaked his ankle a little bit, but I think he's going to be all right."

The Rock Hill native, who was the nation's top high school recruit, was not the only defensive lineman who suffered an injury Tuesday.

Senior defensive end Melvin Ingram bruised his thigh while attempting to block a punt. Ingram, who led USC in sacks a season ago, also left practice without assistance.

Spurrier said both players will "definitely" be held out of practice for "a day or two" in order to heal.

USC opens its season on Sept. 3 against East Carolina in Charlotte. Spurrier said he expects both Clowney and Ingram to be on the field.

"If it had to happen, it happened 11 days before the game," Spurrier said. "They should be OK."