Scrimmage notebook: Brandon Wilds making a push for backup tailback spot

Former Blythewood star has solid night

Running backs coach Jay Graham said Tuesday he was looking for ball security, an ability to break tackles and an overall "good hold" on the offense and flow of the game as he continued his search for the No. 2 tailback behind Marcus Lattimore.

True freshman Brandon Wilds met all the criteria in Wednesday's scrimmage. The former Blythewood High star rushed for 33 yards on four carries, making an impression on coach Steve Spurrier.

"Brandon's a good back," Spurrier said. "He can sort of make guys miss and knows how to hit the hole."

Wilds said his goal is to slide in behind Lattimore and grab the second-team job.

"Hopefully I can get that No. 2 spot and work my way up," Wilds said. "In order to be the best, you've got to play with the best."

To do so, Wilds will have to beat out veteran Kenny Miles, USC's leading rusher in 2009, as well as fellow freshman Shon Carson, who led all rushers in the scrimmage with 42 yards. Wilds said he and Carson have a solid relationship made easier by the fact they both bring different things to the table on the field.

"He's speed; I'm power," Wilds said. "We're two different backs."

Wilds's chances to win the job not only improved Wednesday because of his on-field play, but also because of an off-field decision as well. After indicating last week Wilds was likely to redshirt, Spurrier indicated plans have changed.

"Brandon's probably going to play," said Spurrier, adding he sees Wilds also filling a role on special teams.

Wilds has also seen time at fullback this summer.

Clowney wows: Jadeveon Clowney was the center of attention at USC's surprise open scrimmage Wednesday night. The Rock Hill native did his best to impress, recording two sacks to go along with a fumble return for a touchdown. He also cut down on the several offsides penalties he incurred in USC's first scrimmage.

Hit of the night: When Corey Addison picked off a Connor Shaw pass near the goal line and returned it down the sideline, he was probably feeling pretty good.

Then Rokevious Watkins entered the picture.

The 6-foot-4, 340-pound senior offensive tackle blindsided the 6-foot, 204-pound redshirt sophomore defensive back with a crushing tackle around the 35-or-so yard line.

Wide receiver Jason Barnes giddily recapped the play after practice, in the process introducing a new team term to the world.

"It was real funny," said Barnes, laughing. "I was actually right there in front of it. I was waiting on Corey to cut back, but I guess he didn't see Rokevious. He floored him. That's what we call that. He. Floored. Him."

Hampton in yellow: Redshirt freshman cornerback Victor Hampton was among the handful of players wearing yellow jerseys on the sideline, indicating they are out of practice with an injury. However, Hampton didn't look hurt, moving up and down the sideline with brisk ease — something Spurrier noticed.

"He can dance, but he can't run," said Spurrier somewhat sarcastically about what he said was a thigh injury for Hampton. "He's in good shape."

Next up: The Gamecocks will practice at 4:15 p.m. today after their first day of classes. The practice is closed to the public.