Three new series add drama, music to networks

Fox, NBC introduce shows based on hit plots, characters for spring season

1. Alcatraz (Fox)

From creator J.J. Abrams (“Lost,” “Fringe”), “Alcatraz” stars Sarah Jones and “Lost’s” Jorge Garcia star as Detective Rebecca Madsen and Dr. Diego Soto in a serialized tale about a group of Alcatraz prisoners and guards who vanished 30 years ago and resurfaced in the present. With a man who knows how to people off an island behind this project, “Alcatraz” may very well be the next “Lost,” showing potential with a story of possible time travel and government conspiracies. Premieres Jan. 16 at 8 p.m. on FOX.

2. Smash (NBC)

NBC hopes to get on board with the success of Fox’s musical hit “Glee” and, judging by the title, they expect its new musical drama to be a smash hit. Produced by Steven Spielberg, “Smash” stars Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston and former American Idol contestant Katherine McPhee under the set of the high-stakes lights of Broadway as a group of producers, lyricists and actors try to put on a show about Marilyn Monroe. The show will feature original songs from Tony-winning composers Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman (Hairspray) as well as Uma Thurman as a guest. Premieres Feb. 6 at 10 p.m.

3. Touch (Fox)

From the mind of Tim Kring, the creator of “Heroes,” Keifer Sutherland (“24”) plays a father of an autistic and mute boy who is predicting horrible future events by communicating through numbers. The show already looks to be “Mercury Rising” (1998) meets “Knowing” (2009) and it will no doubt bring in the viewers with Keifer Sutherland once again racing against time to save the world in his return to television. The show will premiere Mar. 19 at 9 p.m., and a special preview will air Jan. 25 at 9 p.m.