Notebook: South Carolina aiming for consistency against UGA

Carson to continue on as kick returner

East Carolina scored on its first three possessions of the game, jumping out to an early 13-7 lead over the Gamecocks. However, on its final four possessions, the Pirates were only able to notch one score, turning the ball over twice in that span. Those two interceptions were South Carolina’s first defensive turnovers of the season.

After gaining 302 total yards in the first half, East Carolina was held to only 171 second-half yards. A contributing factor was South Carolina’s ability to run the ball effectively and melt the clock. The offense finished the game with an 18-play drive, taking 10 minutes and 33 seconds off the board. The Gamecocks played the second half of the game without redshirt senior Brison Williams, who was held out of the final two quarters due to precautionary measures. Defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward indicated that Williams was physically able to return to the field but wanted to rest the banged-up defensive back, and save him for next week.

Shon Carson
Like Thursday’s tilt against Texas A&M, head coach Steve Spurrier sent junior running back Shon Carson deep to field kickoffs against the Pirates instead of sophomore Pharoh Cooper. Cooper, who returned one punt for five yards, was slated at the beginning of the season to be the Gamecocks’ primary kick returner. Carson finished the game averaging 21 yards on kick returns and flashed signs of indecisiveness in a couple.

The opening kickoff sailed more than a couple yards into the end zone, prompting Carson to hesitate before bringing the ball out. He eventually gained 38 yards — his longest return of the game — on the return but hesitated again on the second kickoff. The absence of Cooper at the position could be explained by an expanded role on offense this season. Cooper, one of three starters at the wide receiver position, gained 45 yards on five receptions Saturday night, while Carson did not record a carry.

The team’s wildcat package centers on creating touches for Cooper, designating him as the quarterback when the offense lines up in the formation. With his proven speed and elusiveness, it would likely benefit the South Carolina offense to have a player like Cooper returning kicks.

Looking ahead
Next up for the Gamecocks is a Georgia team that, after throttling Clemson 45-21, enjoyed a week of preparation and rest before their Sept. 13 visit to Columbia, South Carolina. The last time the Bulldogs came to Columbia, they attracted the College Gameday crew to cover the 2012 game.
This year, College Gameday will forgo the SEC East matchup and make the trek to Fargo, North Dakota to set up for the North Dakota State/Incarnate Word game.

Last time out for Georgia, running back Todd Gurley gained 293 all-purpose yards — a Georgia record — as well as four scores against the Tigers. Gurley gained 132 yards on the ground last year against South Carolina, boosting Georgia to a 41-30 victory.

A loss against Georgia would drop the Gamecocks to 1-2, but more importantly 0-2 in conference play. And with Georgia and South Carolina as the primary favorites to win the division, a loss in a de facto tiebreaker game would set the Gamecocks back further than their season-opening loss to the Aggies.