'Motion' fails to move music forward

“Motion,” the latest album by electronic artist Calvin Harris, was released last Tuesday. The album brings the ecstatic bump that he is associated with, but lacks any substantial innovation.

This is Harris' first album release since “18 Months” garnered attention in 2012. Like “18 Months,” this album features multiple collaborations with top-level singers. Partnering with Ellie Goulding, Gwen Stefani  and other major artists gives Harris a variety of up-beat sounds. These songs have the catchy hooks and intense beats that were present in “18 Months.” The songs are less lyrical, but equally as likely to be heard in Five Points.

The standout track from the album is “Summer.” This song features Harris’ own vocals and a mix of electronic instrumentals that express the essence of summer love. His coarse vocals layer nicely with the instrumental composition. It sets itself apart from the many generic-sounding EDM songs that are found throughout the rest of the album.

While the collaborations with Goulding and Stefani are exciting, the songs struggle to break free from the traditional electronic mold. The songs begin with slow, lyrical introductions and then build until the “drop” — the prevalent formula for EDM music. The songs generally maintain this intensity after the first break. Each song on the album shares this pattern with only slight rhythmic variations.

After “18 Months,” Harris was praised for his fresh, innovative style. “We Found Love” has been playing on repeat since the album was released. Unfortunately, with this album, it seems like Harris  didn't even attempt to crawl out of his — admittedly successful — niche. Unsurprisingly, his songs continue to be reliable radio hits.

While this album does not add anything significant or groundbreaking to Harris’ EDM genre, fans can appreciate the catchy, danceable beats. If you are looking for something heavy, the song “Overdrive,” has a “Turn Down for What,” feel to it. For something lighter, “Outside” offers synthesized orchestral sounds, which are complemented well by Ellie Goulding’s soprano vocals.

The album has the potential to keep students hyped for hours of post-exam partying. It is easy to get down to any of the tracks on the album, but don’t go searching through “Motion” for an enlightening musical experience. EDM fans can only hope that Harris will take bigger risks in his next album.