In Brief: April 22 2015

SLED investigating a shooting in Lexington County

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is investigating an early Tuesday morning shooting that involved a Lexington County police officer, according to The State.

59-year-old Kimber Key of Florida was shot by his brother’s home in Irmo. Key was visiting his brother, John Dale Key, 64, at the time of the incident. Deputies responded to the home after John Dale Key  called operators saying his brother had a knife and was threatening to hurt himself.

Kimber Key was shot in the upper torso sometime after police arrived. Kimber Key was transported to a local hospital where we underwent surgery.

Both officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave.

— Kevin Smarr, Assistant News Editor

Sign outside Williams-Brice Stadium has been torn down

The electronic sign at the corner of George Rogers Boulevard and Bluff Road has been removed, according to The State.

The sign has been at the corner for more than 10 years. Its original cost was $167,000.

The sign was previously housed at the corner of Assembly and Blossom streets outside the Carolina Coliseum.  The sign was removed from the corner in an effort to transform the parking lot around Williams-Brice Stadium.

The transformation will include taking the parking lot around the stadium and turning it in a tree-lined pedestrian plaza that looks similar to Gamecock Park.

The school has spent more than $50 million around the stadium on football facilities.

— Kevin Smarr, Assistant News Editor

Senate panel votes on body camera law

The Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously passed a bill that could require state and local police officers in South Carolina to wear body cameras, according to The State.

The bill will now go the Senate floor for consideration. The bill must be passed by legislatures and approved by the governor before it would become a law.

If it is passed, body cameras might start being implemented in state and local law agencies around the state sometime next year.

The bill has been on a fast track since the April 4 shooting involving a North Charleston police officer shooting an unarmed African-American man in the back.