In Brief: 10/28/15

Federal investigation ongoing in Spring Valley incident between deputy and student

According to WLTX, the FBI announced Tuesday that they have started a federal civil rights investigation of circumstances surrounding an incident that occurred Monday at Spring Valley High School between a school resource officer and a female student. This  announcement comes after an anonymous video showing the incident, where a female student is grabbed, flipped and pulled from her desk seat by the officer, went viral on Monday. Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said that Deputy Ben Fields, the officer involved, was put on administrative leave and will not return to the school or the department pending the results of the investigation. Lott requested that the FBI and Department of Justice look into the situation and, hours later, the FBI released a statement saying the two institutions will look into it.

Walgreens buys Rite Aid for $9.4 billion

The Wall Street Journal announced Tuesday that Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. has agreed to buy Rite Aid Corp for a little more than $9.4 billion dollars. The two companies are two of the three largest drugstore owners in the country and together have almost 13,000 stores nationwide. Walgreens agreed to pay $9 a share for their acquisition of Rite Aid, in a year where multiple pharmaceutical companies, healthcare providers and health insurance suppliers have had mergers totaling near $520 billion.

Cornell University kicks Fox News correspondent off-campus

Syracuse.com reported that Cornell University in Ithaca, New York is under some heat after kicking Fox News Channel reporter Jesse Watters off-campus for asking students and members of faculty questions about the school’s supposed bias in favor of the Democratic Party. After Bill O’Reilly complained on his Fox News program, the “O’Reilly Factor,” that Cornell University faculty donated over $600,000 to mainly Democratic candidates, Watters was sent to ask people at the university if they thought this fact showed a liberal “indoctrination” at the school. After talking to a student about the issue, Watters was asked by Cornell’s deputy director of media relations, Melissa Osgood, not to interview students on the campus. Cornell senior media relations director John Carberry also asked Watters to leave the campus after denying him permission to film.