In Brief: 2/2/16

Three teens charged in fatal Mauldin shooting

Three teenagers have been charged in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred Saturday night at a Bojangles in Mauldin, South Carolina, according to FOX Carolina. Trevonte Antonio Watts and William Zachary Newton, both 19, along with a 15-year-old girl, were charged with murder, attempted murder and attempted armed robbery. Watts and Newton were also charged with possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime. Police said the shooting was drug related and identified the deceased victim as Savon Jair Allen, 19, of Greenville. Two other victims are in the hospital in stable condition.

GOP candidates return to SC in anticipation of primary

Presidential hopeful Ben Carson plans to focus his campaign in South Carolina following Iowa's caucuses, The State reports. He chose to prioritize South Carolina because he has been more consistently successful in the conservative state than in the more liberal New Hampshire. After a relatively successful campaign in the fall, he expects to have a strong showing with Republican voters. The two front-runner GOP candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz have also planned visits to South Carolina this week.

Chipotle E. coli investigations closed, new safety standards promised

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention closed their investigation into the Chipotle E. coli outbreaks as they seem to have subsided, according to USA Today. Between the first outbreak in October and a second in December, around 60 people across the country got sick from Chipotle's food. An additional 120 people became sick after contracting norovirus, a disease similar to E. coli, from a Chipotle in Boston in December. The CDC could not determine which ingredient caused the illnesses. No new cases have been reported since Dec. 21, when the CDC issued an official update. Chipotle had an overall decrease in traffic from October to December, and the company has pledged to new food safety standards.