Position preview: Breaking down offensive linemen, specialists

While the majority of the offensive focus is generally on the skill positions, battles in the trenches are the foundation for moving the ball down the field. Let's take a look at the potential starting five up front for South Carolina this season.

Mason Zandi: Zandi is the most experienced player on the offensive line, as he is the only senior at the position listed on the depth chart. The Chapin native will make the move over to left tackle to replace Brandon Shell after starting 10 games at right tackle in 2015. Considered one of the team's leaders, the 6-foot-9, 308-pound senior should be the anchor of the offensive front this fall.

Zack Bailey: Bailey had plenty of hype coming out of high school, as he was a finalist for Mr. Football in the Palmetto State and rated as a four-star prospect. The 6-foot-6, 313-pounder made an impact last season as a true freshman by making five starts, three of which came at center, which was a position he had never played in high school. Bailey will have the opportunity to play his natural position of left guard this fall and, paired with Zandi, should make a strong left side of the line.

Alan Knott: Knott has started 17 games in the garnet and black, and he likely would have started more if it weren't for an injury. At 6-foot-4, 280 pounds, Knott is a mainstay in the middle of the line, and he should be the starting center come the season opener. Provided that he can stay healthy, the Georgia native should find himself on the field often.

Cory Helms: A Wake Forest transfer, Helms sat out in 2015 due to NCAA rules, but he brings plenty of talent and experience to the Gamecocks. The 6-foot-4, 306-pound Helms started 23 of 24 possible games, with the lone exception being Senior Day of his freshman year. A freshman All-American in 2013, Helms should be a strong contributor at right guard this season.

D.J. Park: Park is the only current first-teamer with zero collegiate starts, but the redshirt junior still gets the nod on the depth chart over sophomore Blake Camper. Park played in 10 games in 2015 and was recognized at the spring game for his exceptional effort. With Zandi moving to the other side of the line, the coaching staff will likely call upon Park to take over the right tackle spot.

Beyond the offensive line, special teams play a big role in offensive production, particularly when it comes to field position. The Gamecocks had a strong showing on special teams in 2015 — with most of their specialists returning, that success should repeat.

Elliott Fry: Fry has put together an impressive career in his first three seasons in Columbia, currently ranking as the team's second-leading scorer all-time. The former walk-on made 20 of his 28 field goal attempts in 2015, including a career-long 52-yarder against UCF. A 2014 All-SEC Second-Teamer, Fry will undoubtedly be handling place-kicking duties for his senior season.

Sean Kelly: Kelly emerged as a solid contributor for South Carolina last season in his first year after transferring from Florida Atlantic. The senior averaged 44.3 yards per punt last season while blasting a career-long 69-yarder, one of his 14 punts of over 50 yards. After ranking fourth in punting average in the SEC in 2015, Kelly will look to put together another strong year.

Rashad Fenton: Fenton ranked fifth in the SEC last season with an average kickoff return of 26.1 yards, though he only had 14 returns. Fenton, a cornerback, emerged on special teams when he took his first ever collegiate touch for a 96-yard score against LSU. The former three-star recruit could see action returning kicks and punts in 2016.