5 things to watch for from SC women's soccer

As Savannah McCaskill and the Gamecocks continue tearing through their regular season schedule, the unbeaten streak comes along with them, as the South Carolina women's soccer team hasn't lost since last season's NCAA Tournament. 

The Gamecocks have been truly dominant in 2015, outscoring opponents 13-0 in the first half, and allowing just four goals in their first nine games. McCaskill herself has nine goals, and senior midfielder Chelsea Drennan has put four in the back of the net, not to mention three other players who have scored multiple goals. 

Shelley Smith's club has put together a strong start to the season, highlighted by a win over then-No. 6 Clemson, but there are plenty of things for fans to look forward to as the season progresses. Let's take a look at the five biggest things to pay attention to for the remainder of the regular season. 

Drennan chases history

Coming into the season, Drennan was just four assists from tying the program record of 33 career assists in garnet and black. Now, the midfielder stands at 32, needing one to tie the record and two to cement her place in the record books. Having averaged just under half an assist per game throughout her career, it's safe to assume Drennan will set the mark this season. 

McCaskill dominates

McCaskill led the Gamecocks with 29 points and 10 goals last season, and she's nearing those numbers already, having totaled 22 points and nine goals in just nine games. The junior forward has already added an NCAA Player of the Week to her laundry list of accolades, which also includes a spot on the All-SEC First Team in 2015 in addition to being named to the NSCAA All-America Third Team. With so much soccer left to be played, you can't help but wonder how gaudy McCaskill's numbers will be come the end of the season. 

Showdown in College Station

South Carolina's biggest win last season was arguably its 2-1 home victory over Texas A&M, as the Aggies were ranked No. 4 in the country. On Sept. 29, the Gamecocks will look to win the rematch, but they won't have the benefit of a Stone Stadium crowd. South Carolina will be tasked with battling the hostile environment in addition to attempting to stop Texas A&M's Haley Pounds, who put 19 shots on frame in the Aggies' first eight games. A win would do wonders for the Gamecocks in the SEC standings, especially come tournament time. 

Krzeczowski settles in

Freshman goalkeeper Mikayla Krzeczowski started in net in both of South Carolina's SEC matches thus far, and she's showing no signs of giving that job up, having kept a clean sheet in both. The Georgia native has plenty of experience, as she spent four years in the U.S. National Team player pool, and she has gotten the nod over redshirt freshman Hunter Peifer, who has just three starts this season. Having saved 17 of the 20 shots on target so far, Krzeczowski seems to have earned the trust of the coaching staff, and she should only get better throughout the season.

Staying hot

The Gamecocks faded down the stretch in 2016, losing three straight games toward the end of the regular season — two games of which were against teams that didn't qualify for the NCAA Tournament. Those losses came on the heels of a 10-match unbeaten streak, and they came without warning, as South Carolina appeared to be trending in the right direction. With games against SEC powerhouse Florida and currently undefeated Arkansas on the schedule late in the season, it's imperative that the Gamecocks are playing their best soccer come the end of October.