Column: Saturday's game is make-or-break for Muschamp's Gamecocks

An opening game win against Vanderbilt was a sigh of relief for Will Muschamp and South Carolina, but last Saturday’s 27-14 beatdown at the hands of Mississippi State in Starkville means two things for a young and inexperienced Gamecocks’ ball club.

First, this team has a lot of figuring out to do if it wants to be competitive on a week-by-week basis this fall.

The offense could hardly manage to score, let alone move the ball. A supposed team strength, the offensive line left both quarterback Perry Orth and running back A.J. Turner unprotected, which partially explains a stat sheet that’s hard for even the most loyal Gamecock fans to attempt to read.

While the line wasn’t playing to par, not all of the problems should be placed on the group. Orth completed a mere nine passes for 83 yards in the air, while A.J. Turner and the running backs only totaled 34 yards on the ground.

Although two turnovers didn’t assist the South Carolina defense, the unit had a host of problems as well.

A Bulldogs team that couldn’t seem to muster up much offense against FBS newcomer South Alabama appeared at ease against the Gamecocks. The rushing defense gave up 195 yards to Dogs’ quarterback Nick Fitzgerald, and he averaged 11.5 yards per carry.

Growing pains should be expected in Muschamp’s rookie season, so South Carolinians shouldn’t hit the panic button. Nevertheless, a win against Mississippi State would’ve been monumental for the Gamecocks’ efforts to reach a bowl game.

Now, Muschamp faces an uphill climb to reach that modest peak. That being said, what is the second can of worms that South Carolina has opened following a second week loss?

In my opinion, it’s this: a 4 o'clock showdown with East Carolina becomes a make-or-break situation if these Gamecocks want to crawl out of 2016 with six wins.

After a disastrous 2015 season, it would be quite the accomplishment in Muschamp’s first season.

South Carolina’s a four-point favorite, but the Pirates are dangerous on offense, featuring big-armed quarterback Phillip Nelson. Plus, they’re coming in hot after defeating instate ACC rival North Carolina State.

Fortunately, it appears offensive coordinator Kurt Roper could move the ball against an ECU defense that gave up 497 yards to the Wolfpack. Dual-threat Brandon Mcllwain showed flashes last Saturday at quarterback in the second half, and he should be able to run and pass successfully against the Pirates on Saturday.

A home victory this weekend could mean good things for the Gamecocks in the future. With a win over the Pirates, South Carolina could not only gain momentum, but also position itself for a postseason bowl bid.

Games against non-conference foes such as Massachusetts and Western Carolina look winnable, and SEC East foes Missouri and Kentucky haven’t shown much promise of late. Beat East Carolina, and the Gamecocks could go bowling this winter.