David Williams looks to turn corner after career day

USC vs. ECU
USC vs. ECU

Redshirt junior David Williams' journey at South Carolina has been anything but smooth. Since being targeted as a highly touted four-star running back out of the Philadelphia prep ranks, his career has been plagued by a cycle of highs and lows.

Unfortunately for Williams, those valleys have been more conspicuous than the peaks. Perhaps the most glaring incident came when he was expelled from the very first preseason practice of coach Will Muschamp's regime and subsequently buried by redshirt freshman A.J. Turner on the depth chart.

After getting off to an uninspiring start against Vanderbilt, rushing for just 7 yards on five attempts, Williams was essentially cut out of the offensive game plan against Mississippi State.

Williams' performance in South Carolina's 20-15 victory over East Carolina was another story. Williams compiled 67 yards on seven carries and also reeled in an acrobatic catch to net 83 total yards.

On just what exactly changed between Mississippi State and ECU, Muschamp stated, "Dave and I had a good talk this week about the things he needed to continue to improve on. It's just consistency in his performance every day."

Muschamp was quick to praise the work that his tail back has put in since his uneven start: "You give David credit — it takes a mature young man to respond, and he responded the right way."

Williams' stellar performance against ECU both on the ground and as a viable passing option was certainly impressive, but it is important not to forget that he has flashed signs of promise in the past. He tallied 110 rushing yards in a win over Furman during his freshman campaign. Later that season, he racked up 70 yards on four receptions against Clemson.

The dynamic of South Carolina's offense really changes if Williams can dependably shoulder the load of being a feature running back, not to mention the threat he provides as a passing option. That will only be possible if Williams can give Muschamp the consistency he requires week in and week out.

On getting an opportunity to bounce back this week, Williams said, "I felt like I had a chip on my shoulder. I wasn't living up to the coaches' expectations. That's why I didn't get into the game last week. I just used it as motivation."

Williams' boost in production against ECU significantly impacted the outcome of the game, but more than anything, South Carolina needs this to be the first step in a new direction. If it is simply a continuation of an old trend, then the degree to which the coaching staff can depend on him remains uncertain.