Strong non-conference schedule source of great excitement, focus for men's basketball

In the months leading up to the men’s basketball season, much will be made of South Carolina’s strong non-conference schedule against many of the perennial powerhouses of college basketball.

With the likes of Syracuse, Michigan and Seton Hall featured as early season non-conference foes, this season will in no way be similar to the 16-0 cakewalk that was the start of last season.

A lighthearted Frank Martin said, “I hope they don’t react like I did the first time I played against the blue bloods in college basketball. I remember coming out and standing on the sideline and looking down the bench and saying, 'How the heck am I on the sideline against Mike Krzyzewski?'”

The players themselves seem excited at the opportunity to take on such strong opponents. Senior guard Duane Notice put great importance on those games. 

“Being a kid growing up, watching college basketball, playing those type of teams, powerhouses and big-name schools, has always been an experience that we have all probably looked forward to," he said.

The games against Syracuse and Seton Hall will both take place in the New York City area, with South Carolina taking on Syracuse in Barclays Arena and Seton Hall in Madison Square Garden. The location of these games is important for the future of this program for the opportunity it presents along recruiting lines.

“We recruit New York, so we are up there all the time ... I want to try and schedule games there as often as we can,” Martin said.

Wins in these games could do more than just bolster this year’s resume for the NCAA Tournament. The special thing about games against college basketball powerhouses is the effect a win over one can have on the overall future of a program.

A game against a team such as Syracuse, taking place in one of the meccas of high school recruits, has the power to do more than just boost South Carolina’s RPI. It has the chance to emblazon Martin’s program in the minds of all high school recruits in the area. It has the power to thrust Martin’s program into the college basketball spotlight. And it offers big game experience to players that, come the SEC tournament or NCAA tournament further down the road, could pay massive dividends.

For players like Sindarius Thornwell, who has said his dream has always been to play in Madison Square, these big non-conference games are not just another game. Martin knows this, and knows the effects that these games can have on the success of his current team and the future success of his program.

Look to see how South Carolina fares in these games, because the outcome might be more far-reaching than just the final scores.